Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Coin Senate Control Help Please  (Read 603 times)

CHUCK BILLINGS

Roman Coin Senate Control Help Please
« on: February 12, 2008, 06:45:31 am »
Again thanks for all the help in the past. VERY MUCH APPRECIATED. Sorry my scans are not the best. About 9 GRAMS About a INCH around at its widest. Possible VICTORY on REVERSE S. C., and possible C also as the  only part of the LEGEND that is visable to me.

E Pinniger

Re: Roman Coin Senate Control Help Please
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 12:50:48 pm »
I can't identify the emperor from the photo shown, but this coin is certainly a Roman As or Dupondius (most likely an As - it looks coppery in the photo, and an inch is very small for a dupondius, even a late one), and probably 3rd century judging by the fairly crude flan.
The figure on the left isn't Victory (who is always depicted with wings) but I'm not sure exactly who it is - possibly Felicitas or Fortuna.

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 02:48:04 pm »
No guarantees but the shape of the head looks like Maximinus I

good luck
Pete

CHUCK BILLINGS

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 04:02:42 pm »
Thanks, seems to be, MAXIMIN Ier (235-238), AE sesterce, 236, Rome. Law: IMP MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG B. l., drapé, cuirassé à droite. Reverse: PAX-AVGVSTI / SC Pax debout à gauche, tenant une branche and a sceptre transversal. Ref: BMC 228, 72; RIC 58; C., 34 19.61 G. Patine THANKS AGAIN.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity