Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: is there any hope for this crusty?  (Read 1164 times)

Offline norman m

• Praetorian
is there any hope for this crusty?
« on: February 02, 2008, 10:13:32 pm »
Please advise if there is anything I can do, is the hole too deep in his head?

gavignano

Re: is there any hope for this crusty?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 10:40:11 pm »
hi. When you say crusty, did you mean it was a crusty and you cleaned it to this point? I am asking because it looks like someone treated it for bronze disease. I'm not sure if the poc marks on the face are dig outs from damage to bronze disease, (they certainly don't look like centering dots) but I don't see how you could improve it without doing something (filling) that most of the posters would say goes beyond simply cleaning it. Maybe some of the super pros could offer advice.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 11:33:32 pm »
I am no pro...but...at this point this coin is kinda ate up, but first i would further treat the bronze disease and then see how far its eaten into the coin, maybe zap it and hit it with a dremel to clean off the crud. If the metal seems sound below I would continue in this manner, if not, then wax and flip i guess.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 01:15:07 am »
Ave!

Any number of Dremel tools and repatinizing solutions will bring this coin to glory.

Best,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

All coins are guaranteed for eternity