Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pet Peeve/What Scroll?  (Read 1015 times)

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Pet Peeve/What Scroll?
« on: March 03, 2008, 01:39:57 am »
Why are the A2 types of Aelia Flaccilla showing her standing on the reverse almost invariably described as "arms folded at the breast" (about 99% of the time)?  The dead hand of tradition (along the lines of "resting on a scepter" and "holding corn ears")?  She is clearly holding a scroll across her bosom.  Are there types with the hands actually folded at the breast without any scroll?  And what could this scroll be?  I've had this one for years and it always bothers me.  I also add one that is even more obvious (and described by the dealer, for once, as holding scroll).  Thanks, George Spradling
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Pet Peeve/What Scroll?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 08:50:22 pm »
According to G. Bruck, Spätrömische Kupferprägung, p. 60, BOTH types occur.

Holding scroll as on the two coins above: Bruck has drawings of this type taken from coins of Heraclea and Antioch.

Clasping hands: two drawings in Bruck taken from coins of Alexandria and Nicomedia.

Here are a coin of Constantinople from CoinArchives where the empress apparently clasps her hands, and a silver miliarense of not Flaccilla but Eudoxia, lot 521 in last January's Gemini IV, where the seated empress apparently also clasps her hands.
Curtis Clay

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re: Pet Peeve/What Scroll?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 12:32:45 am »
An irritation soothed.  Thank you Curtis, as always.  Geo. S.
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity