Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: viking/saxon coin, have you seen one in pewter?  (Read 1470 times)

Offline monty

• Consul
viking/saxon coin, have you seen one in pewter?
« on: January 30, 2008, 03:36:26 am »
hi, i was wondering if anyone here has ever seen a coin like this before. i posted it a while ago on I.D help, but no one knew.

it is obviously in viking/saxon style of types used in Britain the the 10th/11th centuries.

the problem is it is struck in pewter or a similar metal rather than silver, with an integral copper plug. i cant find any record of a similar coin. i was told it had been found in Worcestershire.

the copper plug goes against the theory it is a forgery, i just cant think why it would have been produced.

many thanks,  ade

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
Re: viking/saxon coin, have you seen one in pewter?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 03:12:19 pm »
Not my area, but it reminds me of a 16th - 17th century token I saw a long time ago - like a boy bishops penny - though it was based on an English penny - but a communion token of some kind perhaps

Malcolm

Offline monty

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 03:09:17 am »
hi malcolm,

thank you for the posting.

i know the tokens you mean, normally with a long cross reverse. i used to see them from time to time iwhen i was in a  metal detecting clib.

i dont think this is connected, it looks almost official, and the copper plug puzzles me.

thanks,  ade

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 03:24:58 am »
Hi Ade,

Yes I know what you mean - it is a bit different - those tokens are worth a bit so perhaps you should keep up with the detecting. 

It could have been nailed to something (a door lintel perhaps) as a charm, and then filled in again later - though it is puzzleing as to why bother. 

The reverse looks semi official, certainly based on a real coin at least, the obverse looks more amateurish though I can see the similarity with coins of, say Offa etc.

Maybe those helpful people at the BM could provide a clue?

Malcolm

Offline monty

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 03:32:16 am »
hi malcolm,

i think your right about the BM.

i will let you know there opinion when i get one.

kind regards,  ade

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
  • The meek shall inherit the earth..so buy a meek
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 09:37:53 am »
Hi

It could be a modern copy or maybe a measuring weight of some sort? It is in the style of C9/10th AD though more likely C10thAD.

I cant read the legends otherwise that might help, probably says a blundered form of 'Alfred' on obverse, albeit that is C9thAD. The reverse reads W__RED? The Vikings produced alot of oddities in the style of Alfred's coins in the Danelaw area. BM would have a good idea or Fitzwilliam - Mark Blackburn/Martin Allen, see their website.

Brgds

Alex
'Never has so much been owed, to so many, by so few' - Mervyn King, Governor, Bank of England, 20th Oct 2009

All coins are guaranteed for eternity