Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek Coin  (Read 545 times)

CHUCK BILLINGS

Greek Coin
« on: January 20, 2008, 07:40:22 am »
Here i have a coin that i think is greek. sorry about the scan best i can do hope someone can help. Coin is about 9 grams 3/4 inch in diameter. Appears to be Zues enthroned holding Nike in hand, Nike holding ivy wreath. Legend in front of Zeus appears to me to say AVTONO. I cannot makeout any further legend as my eyes are just not the way they once were. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE BEEN SO HELPFULL IN THE PAST

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
Re: Greek Coin
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 10:23:39 am »
I think this is a reduced module issue of Antioch, struck from 40/39 BC (year 10 of Caesarean era) utill 17/16 BC (year 33). The previous early Caesarean era coins, with a different reverse legend, are larger and heavier (average 15.65 g).

Some other info from Butcher, Coinage in Roman Syria:

Large denomination, 7.82 g (20 mm circa)

obv: laureate head of Zeus; no legend

rev: Zeus seated left, holding nike and sceptre. To right, downwards in two lines ANTIOXEWN / MHTPOPOLEWS; to left, downwards, AYTONOMOY. date in exergue; sometimes letters or symbols in field. All within laurel wreath (see Butcher's sketch)

Butcher 21bis - 37

I can't decipher for sure what's in front of Zeus legs on your coin; it could be a corn ear (two issues in Bucther n. 29 and 35.2), but  cornucopiae, isis crown, palm branch, star and caduceus are also listed.

Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

CHUCK BILLINGS

Re: Greek Coin
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 10:55:19 am »
Hi Luigi, You hit it right on the head. Thanks i never noticed the corn ear in front of Zues"s legs, but a ear of corn is what it is. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP REALLY APPRECIATE IT, CHUCK.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity