Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: material/cleaning question: Valerian AR?  (Read 1332 times)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
material/cleaning question: Valerian AR?
« on: February 07, 2008, 09:36:54 pm »
Evening all...I got this coin (and a silvered Victorinus!) today out of my local dealers junk bin. I was thinking Valerian I and silver (now i am having trouble matching up the obverse legend with Valerian...), but once I got it home and under some better lighting it looks like i can see copper in a few spots on the obverse (OR it could be some of that reddish crust just in a very light layer OR it could be really crappy silver OR it could be billon!!) anyway, any opinion on material would be great (and maybe confirmation on the id too!!! ;) )

Chris

PS it's a bad strike with what looks like the flan was hanging off of the edge of the dye! (it has that rounded over thing going on)
C.

PPS I may leave his moustache! Kinda gives him that cheesy 70's disco look!  ;D
c.

24mm 2.57g
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

gavignano

Re: material/cleaning question: Valerian AR?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 10:07:54 pm »
Hi Chris
I think - Gallienius, Victoria AVGG reverse.
A pretty large one at that.
Very weird distribution of crud left on this one - it looks like his face (forehead) got hit with a piece of dog poop  :laugh:
And, I do work in the medical arena, and it looks like Victoria has a bedsore on her.....
Neither sounds too good.
Back to cleaning - I think you will get far on the forehead, but that ultra thin stainlike layer- every time I even got part of it off, it would leave a darkened area on  the coin which was not an improvement...so I'll divert to the pros like Kevin (again).

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 10:43:31 pm »
Hi Chris
I think - Gallienius, Victoria AVGG reverse.

LOL! Well...I wasn't too far off! (they both have an extremely similar Vic AVGG reverse coins anyway!)

So after looking into the era, that was a pretty poor time in history for the Romans...maybe it is just really crappy, based down silver as well. I'm just gonna stick with the traditional methods for the poop on the forhead area, but yeah...that reddish stuff is a pain in my neck too.

Chris

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 08:46:49 pm »
Ave!

Chris,

Your coin is indeed silvered. Do this: Apply lemon juice to the effected areas with a q-tip. Let sit for 5 minutes or so, then very gently use a DDDP #1 to begin removing the green bit. Repeat until the green is nearly gone. Set the coin in DW overnight, then apply a SBBB under running water. The green crusties will be gone. Ren Wax, buff and you're done.

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 09:06:57 pm »
Kevin, I think all of your lessons are finally sinking in because that's pretty much what I was going to do!!  ;D  Let's see how it will turn out!

Chris

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 01:16:33 am »
Ave!

How did it fiann;y come out?

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 12:22:16 pm »
LOL...still working on it...its kinda a pain getting the green junk off without scratching the super thin silver on top (as I am sure you know!) so I am going pretty slow...I will post when done though!

Chris

All coins are guaranteed for eternity