Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Viminacium Philip but which one?  (Read 716 times)

Offline Jeremy W

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
Viminacium Philip but which one?
« on: January 17, 2008, 09:33:01 pm »
I think this is Philip I but only because it's dated year 5 or ANV.  Is there another possibility?  It's 28.65mm and 16.42g.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Offline Jean Paul D

• Consul
  • Semper si recordare
Re: Viminacium Philip but which one?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 01:06:36 am »
Hello Jeremy, i will try to help you, i am collecting Viminacium's coins for 1 year, so i have some informations about that
AN V
There is two emperors on AN V sestertius: Gordian III and Philip I
there is some variations:
Gordian III: IMP GORDIANUS PIUS FEL AUG: laureate draped and cuirassed: PMS C-OL VIM :  AN V
Gordian III: IMP GORDIANUS PIUS FEL AUG: laureate draped and cuirassed: PMS C-OL VIM :  AN dot V
Gordian III: IMP GORDIANUS PIUS FEL AUG: laureate draped and cuirassed: PMS C-OL VIM :  AN :V:
Gordian III: IMP GORDIANUS PIUS FEL AUG: laureate draped and cuirassed: PMS C-OL VIM :  AN dot V dot

Philip I: IMP IUL PHILIPPUS PIUS FEL AUG PM :laureate draped and cuirassed : PMS C-OL VIM: AN V
Philip I: IMP IUL PHILIPPUS PIUS FEL AUG PI  :laureate draped and cuirassed : PMS C-OL VIM: AN V
Philip I: IMP IUL PHILIPPUS PIUS FEL AUG P    :laureate draped and cuirassed : PMS C-OL VIM: AN V
Philip I: IMP M IUL PHILIPPUS AUG                   :laureate draped and cuirassed : PMS C-OL VIM: AN V
Philip I: IMP M IULI  PHILIPPUS AUG                 :laureate draped and cuirassed : PMS C-OL VIM: AN V
Philip I: IMP M IUL PHILIPPUS PIUS AUG           :laureate draped and cuirassed : PMS C-OL VIM: AN V

So i hope it helps!! :) , you can check my gallery, i have some Viminacium's coins
best regards
JP

Offline Jeremy W

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 09:28:12 am »
That's great information, thank you.  I'm sure it will help.

Jeremy

Offline scottatlaw

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 10:11:07 am »
Golly, you've got a tough one there.  Odds are its a Philip I (Gordian's year V's are pretty hard to find).  The shape of the bust makes me think its an early Philip I hybrid portrait with the long legend "IMP IVL PHILIPPVS PIVS FEL AVG PM".  You'll have to check the legend real close to tell for sure.  But it might be the shortened later legend too which reads "IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG". 

As for your reverse type, I can pretty easily make out that it's the standard P M S C-OL VIM type with the plain AN V in the exergue

So basicaly, yeah, its probably a Philip I with one of those two above legends.  You'll just have to crack out the magnifying glass and see what you can get to fit better.

Good luck!

Scott S.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity