Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Byzantine Coins (Moderators: vercingetorix, wileyc, Paleologos)  |  Topic: Constans II Sear 1053 / 1056 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Constans II Sear 1053 / 1056  (Read 5220 times)
Jerome Holderman
Caesar

My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 08:14:33 pm »

Looks like I have another one to add. Thaks to a kind person who pointed me to this thread after I listed it:

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 07:59:56 pm »

Fake coin reports please. 

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Obryzum
Caesar

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2019, 06:19:36 pm »

Another one . . .
Edessa
Consul

I love this forum!

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2019, 09:11:27 am »

As an add on: Nov 14, 2018, CNG eAuction 432, Lot 618, sold a "modern Carthage mint follis of Constans II (SB 1053)" as part of a multiple lot.

Eugene
isauria7
Auxiliary

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2019, 05:44:42 am »

There is a doubtful coin of this kind currently being offered at auction by CNG.  The discussion here on Forum (going back to 2008) seems to confirm what a very knowledgeable dealer told me about 15 years ago.  He suggested that the dies (or cast) used to make the fake coins were based on the line drawing in Sabatier.  It may be that Sabatier saw a genuine coin but his drawing included inaccuracies.  The forger only had access to the Sabatier drawing and in that way the inaccuracies were transferred to the fake coins.  Stating the obvious - MIB lists only two examples: the Sabatier coin (whatever it is) and one in DO (no. 134).  Many thanks to the anonymous friend who reminded me just now of the possibility that fakes exist.

Steve Mansfield
Early Byzantine Copper Coins     
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Byzantine Coins (Moderators: vercingetorix, wileyc, Paleologos)  |  Topic: Constans II Sear 1053 / 1056 « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop