Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Valentinian I  (Read 829 times)

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
Valentinian I
« on: January 08, 2008, 11:46:36 am »
Valentinian I AE3.
AD 364-367
RIC IX, 18a_i
DN VALENTINI-ANVS P F AVG
diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right
SECVRITAS REIPVBLICAE
Victory advancing left, holding wreath & palm
TESB

The problem is in the table of Mintmarks with no other marks in the right or left field it only lists
TESA and TES(delta)

Nothing in either wildwinds or helvetica tables.  The only other choice would be a AE4 of valentinian II

This one measures 18.7mm and scales at 2.4g which falls in the AE3 range
sorry for the appearence in the scans it had a serious bend in the middle, otherwise not a bad looking portrait

Any thoughts or directions to look would be very appreciated, thanks Jim
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

Valerius

Re: Valentinian I
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 11:55:40 am »
It is an unlisted officina, but to be expected. You could expect to find TES gamma for Valentinian also.

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 07:26:47 pm »
Hi
I see on your coin TESA.
RIC IX, Thessalonica 18a.
Best regards
ser

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 10:20:57 pm »
It is an RIC IX, 18a, they just don't list a B Officia, Just A and Delta  Those are the only ones RIC and Helvetica list
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

Valerius

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 10:38:40 pm »
It is an RIC IX, 18a, they just don't list a B Officia, Just A and Delta  Those are the only ones RIC and Helvetica list

Of course an unlisted coin would not be listed!

Just because an officina is not listed in RIC, it does not mean it is impossible to find an example-- it just means that the authors of RIC did not see one. Unlisted coins turn up all the time.

And yes, your coin is RIC IX Thessalonica 18a.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity