Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: "good" hair days, or post your best of...here  (Read 4823 times)

gavignano

"good" hair days, or post your best of...here
« on: January 05, 2008, 05:27:12 pm »
While scanning Wildwinds to look for an example of an obscure Helena, I came across this incredible obverse, as in elaborate hair styles of a most famous female of ancient Rome. I know there have been posts of hairstyles of specific periods, and even a series of articles in the Celator about hairstyles but if you have got a knockout coin, as in great hair, lets see it. I have collected all types of ocins, but none of the US modern pieces is as cool as this one!

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: "good" hair days, or post your best of...here
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 06:03:03 pm »
What about a Magnia Urbica? Described as "Draped bust right on crescent, hair brushed in straight lines, plait carried up the back to top of head and running under stephane".

I must admit that my Helena coins have much simpler hairstyles.
Regards,
Martin

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 06:07:32 pm »
I must have missed the articles in the Celator.  But I made up a page about hairstyles a couple of years ago.  It's quite basic, but if you're interested ..

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/moonmoth/hairstyle_coins.html

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 06:44:30 pm »
Damned! Most of the interesting themes are pre-occupied by moonmoth!  ;)

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 02:34:07 am »
It is a great page of moonmoths - though there is always scope to do the emperors as well as the empresses (Verus and Galba spring to mind though of course nature probably has more influence than fashion)
 :afro:

Malcolm

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 02:36:33 am »
Not all the interesting themes, though, not by a long way!  But it shows you can have an interesting collection without needing to have expensive or perfect coins.  Anyway, here's one that's not on my hairstyle page.

I posted this coin recently as a coin of the day, so please forgive the re-posting, but it's interesting in that you can see a double star or flower design in the clasp used to hold Aquilia Severa's hair at the back.  I think, probably flowers rather than stars.  If this is meant to show only one side, then there would be four flowers in all.  The hair is rolled along the brow line, an ancient styling that would have been regarded as classical even in Aquilia's time.  The rest of the hair is pulled smoothly back in a style you also see on Julia Paula.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 03:02:31 am »
Aquilia Severa, wasn't she the vestal virgin who married Elagabalus? Perhaps her hair style choice reflects that?
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline helcaraxe

• Caesar
    • Coins available
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 06:11:35 am »
@moonmouth:

Your page is great - I didn't know of it before.

But unfortunately I think I have spotted a known fake on your site:

It is the Histiaia tetrobol, the first coin on the left side.
There have been sold fake hoards of that coins so that there are probably more fakes around than genuine ones.

Have a look:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/thumbnails.php?album=search&type=full&search=Histiaia

At least it ist adequate to the topic of this thread, that true and fake ones can be easily distinguished by means of the hair style.

All the "wild hair" types are fake - compare to to the genuine one.

Attached a genuine one and my fakes one - because I fell in that pit too, of course. ;-)

[BTW: Sorry for the OT, because it is not Roman any more, but it DOES fit into this thread...]

Semper pax,
helcaraxe

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 08:20:44 am »

(...)

But unfortunately I think I have spotted a known fake on your site:

It is the Histiaia tetrobol, the first coin on the left side.
There have been sold fake hoards of that coins so that there are probably more fakes around than genuine ones.

Have a look:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/thumbnails.php?album=search&type=full&search=Histiaia

At least it ist adequate to the topic of this thread, that true and fake ones can be easily distinguished by means of the hair style.

All the "wild hair" types are fake - compare to to the genuine one.

Semper pax,
helcaraxe

Thanks for pointing that out!  But if all the "wild hair" examples are fake, then what about my only other example?  The hair looks wild, but the coin is quite worn, much more than you would expect in a fake.

That genuine example is really nice - yours?

Offline helcaraxe

• Caesar
    • Coins available
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 09:48:17 am »
Hello moonmoth,

unfortunately the genuine coin isn't mine.  :(

Regarding your second coin I am not sure, it does not look like one of those fake hoard coins (where all dies are known). The "dots" in the hair are bigger than in these fakes. The style is somewhat simpler than I would expect, but until further evidence I would regard that as genuine.

Semper pax
helcaraxe

P.S.: Those Histiaia fakes are all around ebay - be carefully. I saw one of these fake hoards on a coin show last year in Germany myself (hundreds of coins!). To think that they are spreading throughout the collections...  :(

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Andreas Reich

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 10:00:19 am »
Thanks again, Andreas too.  I just had a look around and there are almost more fakes than real .. but I suppose I'd better get back onto topic!  OK ..  Emperors, then ..

For this to work, Constantine II would have to have a parting all the way down the middle of his head.  Somehow I doubt that .. more likely an example of lazy engraving.

I seem to have photographed him with a lump of something in his ear, so maybe I will get him out and try again!  If anyone watches CSI and wonders about all the "epithelials" they find on everything, this is what they mean. 

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 01:56:46 pm »
Bill,

What makes you think Aquilia Severa wears a decorated clasp at back? 

I've always interpreted the "clasp" as a small nest formed from her braided hair, the herringbone-like "decorations" being the divisions between the different hair strands in the braid.
Curtis Clay

Offline Anachoret

• Praetorian
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 02:30:07 pm »
It is very impressive hairstyle of course... but artificial and schematic in the late Roman style. Look at this denarius - it is wonder, looks like best greek specimens - the real masterpiece of ancient portrait!

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 03:32:11 pm »
Bill,

What makes you think Aquilia Severa wears a decorated clasp at back? 

I've always interpreted the "clasp" as a small nest formed from her braided hair, the herringbone-like "decorations" being the divisions between the different hair strands in the braid.

Curtis -

That has to be right in most cases with styles like this, and it's clearly demonstrated in this coin of Julia Maesa where you can see her hair has been braided and coiled at the back.  But I could not see how the twin star or flower design on the Aquilia Severa coin could come about from something like this.  Perhaps if the hair were made into two (or four) small tight coils, and not engraved very well, it might come out like that .. I am certainly inclined to think that your much greater experience of these coins is more likely to produce the correct interpretation than my few years is.

(Added:) If I stare at it and unfocus my eyes I can make it into a single coil ...

Bill

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 08:01:20 pm »
A hair style not statics of Faustina I where the engraver has given the best of his art.
A light wind seems to move the hair.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 01:26:27 am »
What a lovely diva Faustina I.  I have thought of a circlet made of pearls or beads, in several rows, enclosing the terminal bun at the top of her head; I have known elderly ladies who had a very long plait of hair that was wound into a bun at the crown and retained by a net and adorned with the strung beads or pearls to adorn it.
The younger Severan ladies and their successors do have varying hairdos; one of them at least seems to have her hair twisted, then wound into a bun at the nape where the ends are secured by a pin (modern girls with long hair sometimes use a Japanese chopstick, but can buy somewhat smaller ones at hairstyling places) through it. 
Pat L.

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 08:22:49 pm »
Here are two more coins with great hair styles:

The first is another coin like the one that started this posting -- Helena from Trier (RIC 508).
The second is Galeria Valeria from Serdica (RIC 41).

gavignano

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 10:27:28 pm »
Wow, the Galeria is a great (hair) coin! thanks for sharing!

Offline gb29400

• Caesar
  • Your life is what your thoughts make it ! M.Aurel
    • GbCollection
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 05:36:11 pm »
here my " hairdressing salon "

Guy

All coins are guaranteed for eternity