Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fakes from Thailand? very funny  (Read 1326 times)

jrl69

Fakes from Thailand? very funny
« on: November 21, 2014, 03:24:12 am »
Hello

I read in many places there are many fakes come thailand (I live in thailand and collect ancient coins from decades). The mayor quantity of forgers are in UK and USA, this is something very easy to demostrate just showing the origin of the coins identified as fakes.

Here in Thailand there are other problems with the ancient coins, but few fakes are done.

Here, with the adecuate contacts can buy hoards, mosaics, art, scultures, sarcophages and many other things that in western would be imposible to get because the government would take posesion of them.

Of course here also exist, but like in china, taiwan, spain, bulgaria, and many other countries. But the top forgers are UK and USA, in this order.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Fakes from Thailand? very funny
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 05:09:23 am »
Large numbers of fakes of ancient coins come mainly from Bulgaria, easily recognisable by their bad modern style. Then there are many fakes produced in small quantities and sometimes better quality. I am not aware that they are said to come from any particular countries more than from others. I don't think fakes of ancient coins from Thailand are an issue, I've never heard of it. It might be different with modern coins.
Then again, neither you nor I have any data to support what we're saying.
Andreas Reich

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 06:11:50 am »
Welcome but we know many fake ancient coins come from Bulgaria, Lebanon, Italy, and Spain. I don't think either the US or the UK are major sources of fakes
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

jrl69

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 07:09:54 am »
Well. The large quantity of fakes existent of the medieval pennies is the biggest in the history, overall due the simplicity to copy. It's just enought 2D in the mayor part.
In Dpain is true come many copies from, but usually very bad quality.
In USA they make many dies of very popular coins there. The 1715 fleet were one of the hoard more widely copied in the world.

There are still many famous forgers UK/US that still now are a source of counterfeits by thousands, for example Becker (still one of the most replicated as original),
Other big producer of sources of fakes is Westair Reproductions Ltd, that although mark with WRL the coins, this is erased easily from the cast models in wax.
In UK the governmet have estimated that the 1% of the current coins circulating were fakes (of 1 Pound)

Of course fakes affect all the countries, but is also evident the coins more colectables are the most forget. That is Romans, Greek, UK and USA

None is so easy to fake an old penny, well not, a merovingian are very easy also, but very few collect them.

I do not have data of other high population countries like Rusia or China, but I imagine they are also prominent. I know at least china busted a big gang dedicated only to fake USA coins.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 08:56:42 am »
I don't think you can compare modern and ancient forgeries

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 02:26:54 pm »
Also, we are much less concerned about the masses of cheap bad replicas, like those made by WRL, than with fakes that are intended to deceive.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity