Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Benedict XIII ?  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
Benedict XIII ?
« on: December 21, 2007, 01:22:43 pm »
Hi all,

Well, I curently have in my posession a "carlin" or "gros" from the papal city of Avignon, which appears to be from Benedict XIII.
Although it's struck on a short flan, the legend seems to be :
O/ BENEDIT:PP:TREDEM, pope facing seated
R/ SANTVS:PETRVS:ET:PAVLVS, two big keys crossed
It's 22 mm and 2.00 gr
I found a reference in Poey d'Avant : #4214.

First of all : I'm not 100% sure it's Benedit XIII, but I can't find out any other legend that fits what I see
Then, I've been unable to find any occurence of such a coin in the sites, books, auction catalogs available around me. Would anyone have a reference, has a similar coin been seen in the past years ?

Thanks for your input
Potator

Maffeo

Re: Benedict XIII ?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 01:50:12 pm »
Antipope Benedict XIII (Pedro de Luna) (1394-1423).
AR Carlin, Avignon, Berman 246, Muntoni 3.
The coins of the Antipopes are rather rare and sought by papal collectors.
Your specimen is interesting, unfortunately it's only in F and heavily clipped.
You do see this piece at auction occasionally. One (with a slightly different obv. legend) was offered at NAC 44 (26 Nov 2007):
cfr. [DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Offline ROMA

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 02:34:09 pm »
Nice find, the clipping is unfortunate but its certainly not all that uncommon, nor is the condition, I'd be pleased to own it. It sounds like you bought it before really knowing what it was, did it come in a lot or just one of those buy now, figure out what it is later coins?
Adversus solem ne loquitor

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 07:44:16 am »
Hi Maffeo,

Thanks for the precise informations. the auction reference from NAC is very interesting
Thanks for your input.

Quote from: ROMA on December 29, 2007, 02:34:09 pm
Nice find, the clipping is unfortunate but its certainly not all that uncommon, nor is the condition, I'd be pleased to own it. It sounds like you bought it before really knowing what it was, did it come in a lot or just one of those buy now, figure out what it is later coins?

Hi ROMA,

Well, it's not actually mine. A friend of mine, who is not a collector, just wanted to know what she's got. And she's got very interesting things of that period. I guess she"s not decided yet wether she would prefer to sell them or keep them as a "souvenir" from her father. maybe she will keep some and sell some.

Regards
Potator

All coins are guaranteed for eternity