Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Volusian, Anazarbus, details?  (Read 619 times)

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Volusian, Anazarbus, details?
« on: December 07, 2007, 01:32:28 pm »
Can anyone help with the details for this coin, please?  It's an AE22 of Volusian from Anazarbus, but I am having some difficulty with the legend.  I can't find an exact match on line and I don't have access to the SNG volumes that might help.

The obverse should read something like AVT K O VOΛOCCIANO CEB, but I can't really read it except for occasional characters.  The reverse seems to be ANAZAPBOV METPOΠOΛ, with something in the exergue which I can imaginatively assign as Γ ET . OC, if I assume that the C is there, but is nearly worn off;  that OC would be the date, if so.  Does this look right?

Whose is the bust on the reverse?  I have found it labelled as Artemis(?) and Selene.  The moon crescent suggests Selene, but the six stars do not.

A reference would be great, if anyone has one.  Thanks!

This is quite scarce, so I am please to get one for under 4 dollars even if it is somewhat pitted.  It looks a bit nicer in hand than this photo suggests.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Volusian, Anazarbus, details?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 01:45:53 pm »
For a specimen of this type, well, $4 is pretty phenomenal.  Here's the Isegrim entry with your reverse legend:

PRO: CILICIA PEDIAS
PO : ANAZARBUS
PZ : Between 251 and 252 
TIG: MHTROPOL / G G
 Obverse
VSG: AYT K G OYI AP' GALLOS OYOLOYSIANOS
VT : PORTRAIT MAN R / VOLUSIAN
VA : RADIATE / BEARD / CLOTHES / CUIRASS
 Reverse
RSG: ANAZARBOY MHTROPOL G G ET OS
RT : HEAD WOMAN R / SELENE
RA : BUN / CRESCENT / CLOTHES / STARS 7
RF : YEAR OS <270>
 Technical details
M  : AE
GR : 22.5(1) / 24.1(2) / 25(3,7) / 22.7(4) / 23.6(5) / 23(6)
GEW: 7.49(1) / 7.56(2) / 8.1(3) / 9.76(4) / 9.73(5) / 9.3(7)
ST : 06(1-5,7)
 Bibliographical references
ZIT: ZIEGLER KAISER 782(1-7) / SNG KOP 33 55(1)
SG : ZIEGLER KILIKIEN 1146(2) / COLL PRIVAT 13(2) / COLL BM 1910.10.3.3(3) / SLG DUESSELDORF 10119(2) / NEG 249,54(2) / COLL PRIVAT 09(4) / COLL PRIVAT 02(5) / COLL ANS(7) / SNG LEVANTE SUPPL 358(6)
 Additional remarks
FR : VS: AYT K G OYI AP' GALLOS OYOLOYSIANOS RS: ANAZARBOY MHTROPOL G G ET OS
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Re: Volusian, Anazarbus, details?
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 02:10:06 pm »
An amazingly detailed and fast response!  Thanks.

Hmm, I was counting three stars on each side, but yes, on closer examination there are 4 on the left.   Seven stars and a crescent moon seems to be traditional.

I got this in a lot of 3 coins; this, an AE24 said to be of Julia Mamaea and said to be also Anazarbus, with a tetrastyle temple, in slightly better condition but with the legends very worn so I can't yet confirm that; and a nice Gordian III AE25 from Nikopolis; all for GBP 9.99.  (Sorry, I read that as dollars for a moment when I wrote the first post; so they actually cost about 7 dollars each.)  It does happen sometimes!

Bill

(Added:  I can now see that the Mamaea is from Nicaea.  What I thought was a weak legend round the edge may be no legend at all .. I think I'd better put that in a separate post.)
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

All coins are guaranteed for eternity