Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antonia Minor - contemporary imitation?  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Antonia Minor - contemporary imitation?
« on: December 05, 2007, 05:46:49 pm »
Hello,

the crude portrait style and the missing S - C on the reverse of this dupondius might indicate a contemporary imitation:

Antonia Minor, Augusta, Rome (?) mint, struck under Claudius, circa 41-50 AD.,
Æ Dupondius (28-30 mm / 11,14 g),
Obv.: A[NT]ONIA - AVGVSTA , draped bust of Antonia right, wearing hair in long plait.
Rev.: T[I CLAVDIVS CAES]AR AVG PM TR P IMP / [S - C] , Claudius standing left, holding simpulum.
RIC I 92 (Claudius) ; BMC 166 ; Coh. 6 .

Any additional informations? Has someone von Kaenel´s studies?

Thanks and regards

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
Re: Antonia Minor - contemporary imitation?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 06:10:59 pm »
Just for comparison, I recently posted in some other thread this example of this coin that I got in a batch of uncleaneds. I never considered it might be a contemporary fake, although it's true that in my case, the SC are clearly visible. Your coin is strange, but it does seem to be RIC 92 (Claudius).

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 06:18:42 pm »
Here's a comparison on the other direction.  The obverse of this is very odd, but the reverse looks more normal than on the first coin shown.  Even so, that reverse is not out of line with some of the examples around. 

It may be that the S C has worn right off the coin.  With a bit of imagination I can see faint traces still there ..  but this is pushing it a bit; only with the coin in hand could you really tell.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 05:26:33 am »
Here's my example of RIC 92. It's difficult to judge the portrait style on any of these coins due to the wear.

The footnote in RIC does say "An issue frequently imitated...". The SC is quite prominent in my example, it's difficult to believe that it has simply worn away on yours.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 10:45:44 am »
Moonmoth is right, there are traces of S C below a fine sand layer.
So my coin should be an official issue - still inside the style tolerances.

Thanks for your input!

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 10:55:30 am »
I would consider all of the dupondii shown to be provincial imitations.

None of them has the finer style of Rome, nor the style of the three largest branch-mint series, which may have been struck in northern Italy, Gaul, and Spain respectively.

No coins comparable to the ones shown are in von Kaenel, since he included only what he considered to be official coins, not provincial imitations.

It is however possible that some of the bronze coins of Claudius now considered to be provincial imitations were actually struck by authorized branch mints which just employed unskillful engravers!
Curtis Clay

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
    • My collection on the web
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 11:53:12 am »
Hello Mr. Curtis, this is my very worn example of RIC 92, is also a provincial imitation?.

Gracias.
Mario

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 11:54:59 am »
You are correct.
Curtis Clay

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
    • My collection on the web
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 12:09:06 pm »
Muchas Gracias Mr. Curtis.
Mario

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 01:02:20 pm »
I would consider all of the dupondii shown to be provincial imitations.

None of them has the finer style of Rome, nor the style of the three largest branch-mint series, which may have been struck in northern Italy, Gaul, and Spain respectively.

No coins comparable to the ones shown are in von Kaenel, since he included only what he considered to be official coins, not provincial imitations.

It is however possible that some of the bronze coins of Claudius now considered to be provincial imitations were actually struck by authorized branch mints which just employed unskillful engravers!

How interesting! I'll make a note of that for my coin. Thanks!
Regards,
Ignasi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity