Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: recently added  (Read 49222 times)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: recently added
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2008, 08:55:13 pm »
Yeah...I hear you...I try to stay on course, but when I see somthing that grabs me...you know! lol That's the bad thing about having multiple coin shops in a smallish area, it's too easy to stop in and pick somthing up because it is there! Now, soon, when my Volgases VI (AD 208 - 222) and Ardashir I (AD 224-242) tets arrived and I "process" them they will be considered part of my "collection" of Severan era coinage ;) . See how I can justify branching out! lol That is why I picked an era to collect as opposed to a single emperor. If I get tired of sombody I can go on to the next. Repeat ad nauseum!

Come to think about it, if I really wanted to I could include Marcus Aurelius (postumously adopted as father by Septimius Severus...the birds and the bees worked different back then it would seem! lol) and Commodus (new postumous brother from a dead father!) and family...it may happen...I have a lot of small bronzes of Commodus...and we can't forget Didius Julianus or P. Niger! Since they fought Septimius directly for rule! AHHHHHHHH! Where to draw the line! lol (this all started out because I like the bust of Septimius on his denarii!)

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2009, 12:07:58 am »
Adding my last coin of the year tonight. Elagabalus denarius, nothing scarce or anything, but I really dig his look of total disdain. In my mind this is the look he had on his face every time he had to do somthing that he considered either boring or beneath him (i.e. rule Rome). The reverse is very pretty too. TEMPORVM FELICITAS featureing Felicitas with caduceus and cornucopia, but elaboratly dressed and showing a little leg. ;)

Enjoy, next year will bring more (even if I stop buying I have a years worth of photographing and attribing!)

Chris

PS Forvm purchase and although I am waiting on like 6 coins currently and I ordered this one last of them all, this was the first to arrive. True testament to Joe's fantastic service! Thanks for a great and hassle free buying year!

C.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2009, 10:12:47 pm »
Add four interesting bronze tonight. A Julia Domna from Antioch w/ Men reverse, this has to be my best (most well preserverd) bronze coin to date. A Julia Mamaea, also from Antioch, with an incredibly busy reverse (it has Tyche, a swimming river god complete with water, a ram jumping, a star and a lot of field letters as well as a full legend to boot!). A confronted bust Sept. Sev. and J. Dom. with Cybele reverse. Finally a Geta counterfiet with a imperial denarius obverse and a Hermes from Nikopolis reverse. Enjoy, more to come.

Chris

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2009, 10:54:13 pm »
Evening everyone. I have added three new ones: a billon tetradrachm of Vologases VI (last king of Parthia), a billon tetradrachm of Ardeshir I (first Sassinid king, took over Parthia...in a nutshell anyway), and a bronze of Macrinus from Macedonia. Enjoy.

Chris

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2009, 11:13:59 pm »
Evening all...just three more for now. All three are pretty nice bigger bronze coins(one Severus Alexander and one Elagabalus from Markianopolis and one Diadumenian from Nikopolis ad Istrum) and all three have beautiful reverses, albeit not the rarest of types. I really like the bust of Elagabalus and the reverse of the Diadumenian. Hope you enjoy.

Chris

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2009, 08:51:43 pm »
Just adding a single tonight. This is a simple Septimius Severus denarius, but I really really like the bust. Forvm purchase (it seems that a lot of my better silver has been Forvm purchases!).

Enjoy
Chris

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2009, 10:49:02 pm »
Just adding another single coin this evening. Through good fortune and well timed bidding (luck ;) ) I just recieved one of my three missing ladies from my Severan collection. Julia Soaemias. The coin is listed as common, but I have had a heck of a time trying to track one down (in my price range that is!). All the catalog here has had for her is an ancient counterfiet for months now. Anyway, now all I need is representation from Aquilia Severa (she can be had, just not in my price range right yet) and Annia Faustina (she may be a lifelong search - I keep hoping that I will uncover one in an uncleaned lot ;) ).

Well, thats all for my silver for now, guess it back to attribing bronze! I'll tell you what, Imperial coinage is a heck of a lot easier to find references for! lol whited49 is currently helping me on a couple of Stobi coins, for which I am eternally grateful! Ah well. Enjoy.

Chris

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2009, 05:05:42 pm »
That last Septimius does have a fantastis portrait.  I think it is worthy of a spot in the  Superb and Masterpiece Portrait Gallery

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2009, 07:27:56 pm »
Thanks Johnny. My pic is not as good as Joe's sales pic, but I do love that portrait!

Chris

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2009, 10:46:50 pm »
Evening. I added 6 ancient severan era counterfeits tonight. Two base metal Septimius Severus, a base metal Plautilla, a base metal Caracalla, and a fouree of each Caracalla and Julia Domna. With this entry I am opening up a new wing in my severan section: Contemperary Counterfeits. Funny thing is that I have the actual denarius that the fakes were based on, of both the Sept Sev's and the Plautilla, in my Severan silver gallery! Go figure. Both of the Caracalla's are worth checking out. The fouree for its looks and the base metal due to the fact that Moneta is the exact mirror opposite of the actual denarius taht it was based on! lol

Enjoy, there will be more to come.

Chris

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2009, 12:03:24 am »
Interesting.  Is this going to be a new collecting theme of yours?

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2009, 12:47:31 am »
Nah...ancient fakes tick me off almost as much as modern! lol I get them occasionally in uncleaned lots and have had most of them for a couple of years at least, just figured it was time to get them photo'd and attributed...such as they can be attributed. It is kinda fun to figure out where/if the counterfeiters screwed up though. :)

Chris

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2009, 03:35:12 am »
Why? For me it makes little difference if it's a genuine coin or an ancient fake if the coin is nice.
Sure, badly struck and worn barbs aren't very exciting but a well-preserved barb with an attractive style
or a well-done foureé with most of the silver-plating intact can be just as nice as the real thing.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2009, 12:09:16 pm »
Why? For me it makes little difference if it's a genuine coin or an ancient fake if the coin is nice.
Sure, badly struck and worn barbs aren't very exciting but a well-preserved barb with an attractive style
or a well-done foureé with most of the silver-plating intact can be just as nice as the real thing.

Andreas

I don't know! lol They just do. Take that Caracalla fouree for instance. When I recieved it, it was in a rock of crust. I spent a month or so getting it to where it is now before the copper started showing through. At that point my internal excitement meters went to zero and it has sat like that for at least a year. The thought of getting duped by crook that has been dead for 1700+ years just bugs me to no end.

I agree they can be pretty. But they are still fakes. It would be like (to me anyway) a collector a thousand years from now finding one of the "fantasy coins" that are being produced by so many companies these days (like one of those fake $20 "gold american eagles" that are being advertised so often here), really thinking you had somthing and taking it to a pro just to find out it is a fake...albeit an ancient one. Sure, it was made a thousand years ago, but it has no real value, monetarily or historically (again, to me anyway), other than the fact that it is old. (or for that matter, finding a Babe Ruth baseball card that looks like an original just to find out that it was a reproduction made in the 50's to stick in a cracker jack box or wonder bread bag!)

I guess it is just a matter of personal preference.

Chris  

Edit: OK...I take back a little of what I said...I do like the celtic imitations...areich has a beauty in his forvm auctions right now that I would snatch up if my funds were right...Celtic imitation of an Alexander III drachm...
C.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2009, 01:28:12 pm »
Afternoon all. I just added 9 more Severan bronze to my gallery. Three Caracalla (2 Stobi, 1 Tomis), a Julia Domna (Stobi), a Severus Alexander (Caesarea Maritima), a Geta (Serdica), and three Septimius Severus (2 Markianopolis and 1 Pautalia). I am slowly chipping away at my unattributed Severan pile. Another couple dozen or so and I will be caught up, and then it's on to the hundreds of non-Severan that I have! This will give me somthing to do when the economy collapses and I no longer have the spare cash to spend on coins! There is a silver lining to everything! :)

Enjoy
Chris

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2009, 10:37:27 pm »
Evening all. Just added a couple of coins tonight. One Elagabalus "SACERD DEI SOLIS ELABAG" with a really good horned bust and one pretty good looking Drusus that I have had stashed in a baggie (not even a flip!!!) for going on two years now! lol

Enjoy,

Chris

edit- I forgot to add a Septimius Severus bronze that I recently got...so here it is! nifty middle bronze with a nice Apollo Lykeios reverse.
C.

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
    • My collection on the web
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2009, 03:25:41 pm »
Hi Chris, great additions, nice coins, congratulations.
Saludos
Mario

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2009, 10:13:52 pm »
Thank you, Mario. I really do appreciate. :) The collection is getting there anyway, I am just having a fantastic time filling it up!

Chris

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2009, 11:27:36 pm »
ol' Drusus looks pretty good after being in a plastic bag for two years!

Drusus reminds me slightly of Al Gore...
"hi i'm Drusus. i used to be the next emperor of Rome."

:evil:

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2009, 08:19:08 am »
ol' Drusus looks pretty good after being in a plastic bag for two years!

Drusus reminds me slightly of Al Gore...
"hi i'm Drusus. i used to be the next emperor of Rome."

:evil:

LOL :)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2009, 09:18:29 pm »
Just adding a pair tonight. One Elagabalus 17mm provincial featuring my current favorite freaky deity: Telesphoros! What a creepy litte dude! The other is a denarius of Commodus with the PIETATI SENATVS C V P P reverse. I like coinage like this. Per RIC, Commodus and a senator are grasping hands. To me it looks as if Commodus is leaning back and "allowing" the senator to shake his hand. Slap down to the senate? I have no idea, but thats what it says to me...anyway, it's a nifty coin and a fine excuse to open up me new: "Severan Wing - Adopitive Family" section.
You see, Septimius Severus "postumously adopted" Marcus Aurelius as his father and Commodus as his brother. This is my first Commodus silver (other than an ancient imitation), but I do have a bunch of his provincial bronze. I have no Marcus Aurelius coins that I have identified yet, so there is another path to go down. Besides, the few holes that I have in my Severan line are way to pricey for me at the moment! (Aquila Severa and Annia Faustina in the line proper, Vologases V (the Parthian King that Septimius Severus fought), Didius Julianus and Pescennius Niger (fought against Sept. Sev. for rule) and possibly Pertinax (his assassination was the excuse for Sept. Sev. to rise up and make a play for power).

Enjoy
Chris

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2009, 09:37:47 pm »
That Drusus As is sweet.  you get it from an uncleaned ?  nice job on it if you did

cheers

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2009, 09:59:13 pm »
Nah, even better, I got it as is (along with a hadrian sestersius and that nice Mithradates II drachm that I have) for $100 from a local dealer about 2 years ago. For the three that I got I feel that I did a good job getting that price! The Mithradates drachm alone would have been more than what I paid for all three! lol

Anyway, sweet coin as it is, I can take no credit other than getting it for a song.  ;D

Chris

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2009, 01:40:46 pm »
I have not added anything in like a month, so I decided to get off my lazy backside and add a few. Man do I miss wildwinds! I have gotten so use to in as a second reference (or only reference for that matter!)...anyway...

For todays offering I present 10 new Severans, 5 Caracalla and 5 Elagabalus.

The Caracalla coinage consists of: 1 nice Ant (Venus Victrix rev), 1 den with a "Mars Attacks" reverse (although it looks to me that he is really giving his shield what for! lol), 2 big bronze for Cilicia (Caracalla and Sept. Sev. clasping hands reverses) and 1 small bronze from Trianopolis w/ staff, serpent reverse (nice bust on this one).

The Elagabalus consists of: 1 frosty den (VICTOR ANTONINI AVG rev, I am really digging the propaganda coinage of his), on nice middle bronze from Markianopolis (Hygiea rev), and 3 chewed up eastern bronze (1 antioch w/ Tyche, River God rev, 1 Neapolis Mt. Gerizim rev, and my favorite, although severly overcleaned, 1 Aelia Capitolina w/quadriga carrying the Stone of Emesa rev)

I have more to add including 2 new Elagabalus I just recieved from Johnny for my early b-day present (thanks again man!), but time is against me.

I hope you enjoy!

Chris

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2009, 11:35:53 pm »
I need to get back to attribing the pile! It's been too long since I added anything, so tonight, for your viewing pleasure, I am adding a little bit of everything. From Elagabalus I have a nice ant and provincial from Laodicea ad Mare. Caracalla is represented by a nice denarius with a side note from Curtis Clay. There is a Nero from Ascalon, a Domitian from Patras, an Illyrian drachm, a Constantius II with a beautiful portrait, a serrated seleucid with an nifty elephant, a beautiful Valerian I from Antioch that I just recieved from areich and a flatly struck half follis of Anastasius I. Enjoy, more to come.

Chris

All coins are guaranteed for eternity