Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: recently added  (Read 49253 times)

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
Re: recently added
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2010, 01:55:18 am »
Nice, that fouree of Domitian is sweet.

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2010, 06:48:11 pm »
I have to agree with Randygeki(h2)   for a fouree,  that is areal great coin

like the Cupid on goat one too  :)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2010, 10:05:07 pm »
Thanks guys! The fouree bugs me as bad as all my fouree's...but even I kinda like it on it's looks alone...but in principal, it still bugs me! lol If I ever decide to sell a chunk of my collection, the fourees will go first!  ;)

Thanks Johnny! The republican with cupid on the goat is what you ended up getting me for xmas! lol Thanks again man;D

I have a couple of coins (some nifty indian 8th century drachm) on the way and a bucket load to photo, so I will be adding more soon. (actually, most of my next entries will probably be boring...nicaen standard coins! lol but I have been staring at most of them for a couple of years now...so I better get to cataloging them...)

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2010, 01:42:24 pm »
OK...so I didn't photograph any of my nicaen standard coins...lol...I'll get them eventually! Instead I have an interesting hodge podge of flavian provincials, punic, republican, indian, islamic...well...you can see for yourselves!  ;D

Then entries this go-round are:

1 encrusted Macedonian featureing Perseus wearing a winged helm
1 islamic fals, poorly struck
1 indian drachm featuring the bull/horseman motif
1 cool, red, provincial featuring domitian and domitia
1 pretty nice Constantine I (junk box find)
1 Balearic Island coin featuring Kabeiros getting ready to smack a snake with a hammer
1 corroded (too bad) forvm purchase featuring Vespasian w/Titus and Domitian on the rev 1 nifty (but sadly worn) ptolemaic featuring zeus with lion hat (another junk box find)
1 republican Victoriatus that I origianlly thought was a really small denarius! lol
and my favorite:
1 nice Barcids (Punic Spain) coin featuring a manly looking Tanit and helmet rev
Enjoy!
Chris

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2010, 04:05:10 pm »
i really like that Victoriatus Chris... nice find!

~ Peter

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2010, 08:25:19 am »
Thanks Peter, I appreciate! It's funny what people like and don't like. It isn't as if I don't like the Victorianus (I love all of my Nicaean "standard" coins as well...but they are a dime a dozen too), it's just that I figured a coin from a roving military mint from the time and place that Hannibal was commanding would have drawn a bigger crowd! lol I think my overall collecting tastes do not mesh with most peoples!  ;D

Chris

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2010, 10:16:51 am »
Small entry today...only 4 coins. One really pretty one and three oddballs...enjoy! :)

1 hammered silver sixpence of Elizabeth I (I got this for my wife's upcoming birthday as she loves all things Elizabethian...but am counting it in my collection! lol)
1 "barbarous" radiate that I picked out of my favorite junkbox...I really liked the stylized bust...
1 potin coin from the Senones Tribe in Gaul from around the time of Caesar (I really like the "wild man" obverses on these)
and 1 really confusing but really pretty Galerius (see the notes...it took poor Curtis Clay several pm's to get it through my thick skull who the emperor really was! this was also an inexpensive FORVM auction purchase from Mauseus. if you never check out the forvm auctions, give them a try, you may be suprised what you can get!)

Chris

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2010, 01:46:30 pm »
Small entry today...only 4 coins. One really pretty one and three oddballs...enjoy! :)

1 hammered silver sixpence of Elizabeth I (I got this for my wife's upcoming birthday as she loves all things Elizabethian...but am counting it in my collection! lol)

Chris

haha I have a few like that :D

Cool additions too!

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2010, 03:25:29 pm »
Thanks Randy! :) OK...I lied...after the paltry entry yesterday, and seeing that I just recieved two nifty coins, I have decided to add three more...this will probably be it for a little while...we shall see.

New entries are:

1 Caracalla provincial from Carrhae (this is the first Severan bronze I have added in months and is the only "crescent and star" type I ahve of Caracalla)
1 As of Titus featuring the famous "Judea Capta" reverse (I now have an example of a Judea Capta type for Vespasian, Domitian and Titus!)
and
1 nifty denarius of Trajan with a monsterously long obverse and reverse legend feature the radiate bust of a huge nosed Sol...enjoy!

Chris

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2010, 10:59:53 am »
Nice Chris!  I have the Vespasian version of your Titus.

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2010, 07:56:56 pm »
Love the Trajan denarius, a very neat coin!

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2010, 09:55:11 am »
Morning all...it has been ages since I added anything to my gallery (even though I ahve tons to add...time constraints have prohibited me...that and pure laziness!!!), and for that I apologize.

This entry is a smallish one, only 6, but it is an interesting mix. Included are:

1 pretty Republican denarius
1 rescued from BD but still attractive republican bronze
1 also rescued from BD, but not as successfully, Philip V bronze
1 Galba diobol (FORVM purchase...it looks as if it was cleaned with acid, but all is visible and it fills my Galba hole for the forseeable future!)
1 punic spain tanit/helmet (I already had one, but the stark difference in the two made me get it!)
and 1 rescued from BD, and extremely cheap (FORVM "famous auction site" purchase) celtic gaul cast potin. I love these things! This one reminds me of (for those of us old enough to remember) the crazy bug eyed character they used to airbrush on the sides of vans back in the 70's...kinda like this: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_m0YtPN5vgmI/Sa-ksqIFYpI/AAAAAAAAKZI/mo_vYuqY1MU/s800/truckin_poster.jpg

Enjoy,
Chris 

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2010, 03:14:51 pm »
nice additions!

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2010, 11:20:45 pm »
Thanks Randy! :) I appreciate.

I figured that while I was in the mood I'd add 5 more (another oddball mix). I have been working a lot of british dug coins I got from an amateur detectorist...they were found in two fields about a mile apart and are all pretty decent. In fact this has been the best lot I have cleaned in ages. I mention this because I will be starting to add coins I finish to my gallery, in fact three of the 5 entries tonight will be from it. Tonights entry includes:

1 Valerian I silver ant with Saturn rev. (I love this coin!)
1 Claudius II silvered ant with himself on the rev (extremely cheap forvm "famous auction site" purchase and pretty nice coin!)
1 Tetricus I /Pax rev from the uncleaned lot
1 Tetricus II / Spes rev from the uncleaned lot
and 1 Valentinian I GLOR-ROM with a pretty cool reverse, also from the uncleaned lot

Enjoy,
Chris

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2010, 12:55:15 am »
Even though its a li worn I like that ae of Tetricus I alot

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #115 on: July 02, 2010, 11:22:26 am »
Morning everyone! I took the opportunity (I have a long weekend! Woo hoo! 4 days off! I havent had a day off (including weekends) for almost 3 months now) to add 5 more. They are nothing to ooo and ahh over, but all 5 have come from my recent lot of british uncleaneds and fit nicely into my growing collection of "study pieces" (ie attributable and nice, but not beautiful). Anyway, enjoy!

Included are:

1 Constans fel temp (phoenix on globe)
1 Gratian victory advancing left (to my suprise this is my first Gratian!)
1 tiny barbarous imitative
1 Tetricus I (VIRTVS rev) - try as I might I could not get my $100 camer to take a decent pic of this one!
and 1 Tetricus I (FIDES Rev) - this one is much better in hand...my camera is fantastic at finding and reproducing flaws in a grand manner!

Chris

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2010, 09:28:02 pm »
Evening all. It has been a while since I added anything to my gallery, so how about a bit of everything! lol

Tonight I have added:

1 nice Licinius I from Antioch
1 Otacilia Severa from Dacia (don't be fooled, they look a lot tike the COL VIM)
2 Gordian III's from Deultum, Thrace (a roman colony, hence the latin legends). one featuring a nice prow reverse and the other (a radiate bust) featuring Mercury
1 rare (per RIC) holed Caligula that was in my price range and filled a gaping 12 Caesars hole in my collection
and 1 nice (but also in my price range! woo hoo!) macedonian provincial of Tiberius with an nice bust (also filling a massive hole in my 12 caesars collection, I now have 10 of the 12, with Vitellius and Otho missing...they will probably be missing for a long long time! lol)

Enjoy!

Chris

acidstormdd

« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2010, 08:59:37 am »
Great additions Chris !
Love the color on that Gordian III SNG Bulgaria 1166-1167. Is it treated with something ?!

George

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2010, 09:57:59 am »
Nice additions Chris.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2010, 12:23:08 am »
Great additions Chris !
Love the color on that Gordian III SNG Bulgaria 1166-1167. Is it treated with something ?!

George

If I remember correctly, that was a $5 junk box buy and it came like that...I think it was also when I was in to waxing the hell out of everything, so it gets that funny sheen with my camera (these days I wax after photographing...and extremely lightly).

Thanks, guys, I'll be adding a few more here soon, just got to get off my lazy backside! I think next round will be all late barbarous imitatives...or mostly anyway!

Chris

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2010, 09:04:41 pm »
Evening all. I got on a roll and photo'd/id'd 8 more. These range from 1st century to 5th and are mostly provincial. They include:

2 Elagabalus - 1 Markianopolis feature the "grapes" reverse (well struck on a largish flan for the type) and 1 Trajanopolis featuring eros riding a dolphin (another in my "god's who ride thing's they shouldn't" series  ;D )
1 Claudius As w/ Minerva reverse - probably an ancient imitative
1 ate up Marcian monogram - the monogram is good, Marcian didn't survive as well...
1 nice little caracalla provincial from Nicopolis ad Istrum
1 worn Antonius Pius from Laodicea ad Mare
1 horribly debased tetradrachm of Severus Alexander from, of course, Alexandria
and 1 little provincial from Philippopolis of Commodus

Enjoy!
Chris

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2010, 11:46:24 pm »
Evening all. I needed to get these knocked out as they have been in my possession for a year or two and were just collecting dust! Provincials can be a major pain to attribute properly and I have tried my best on these, but if anyone has a correction of additional info, please let me know! Anyway, tonights fair is all Antonine (and mostly Commodus).

Included:
7 small module provincial coins of Commodus (6 from Philippolis and one from Nicopolis ad Istrum)
1 large countermarked (*if anyone has any info on the coutermark I would be most interested!) Commodus from Nicaea
1 small module coin of Marcus Aurelius, also from Philippolis
and 1 junk box denarius (scarce but aged badly) of Crispina. She is kinda pricey, so this might be her lone coin in my collection  for a while!

Enjoy! :)

Chris

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2010, 02:55:18 pm »
Afternoon all. I just added 5 more coins to my gallery. I have had most of them for quite a while and just now getting around to IDing, but the Matertini coin is a recent aquisition (and a nifty one to boot! if you get a chance, go look them up). Included are:

1 problematic Geta, possibly from Serdica, but there is some debate as to that...so it remains unidentified
1 Trajan as (victory/SPQR rev) that is beautiful in hand, but will not photograph worth a damn!
1 Nerva as (liberatis rev), my first of his, not perfect, but pretty darned good with a decent portrait
1 worn Antonius Pius as...nothing much to see here, it was struck in super high relief, which is why there was anything left to ID...I like his portrait on this coin
and 1 nifty Mamertini coin featuring a decent bust of Apollo w/ nike rev
Enjoy
Chris

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2010, 10:35:23 am »
Morning all! I have some really neat coins to add today. From a giant Ant. Pius drachm to a little POP ROMANVM bridge, there is a bit of everything. Included are:

1 beautiful drachm of Antonius Pius
1 cool Mamluk with an eye cartouche
1 rare greek from Cyclades
1 little POP ROMANVM bridge commemorative
and 1 iberian Semis with Neptune holding a dolphin!

Enjoy!

Chris

Offline xintaris75

• Consul
« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2010, 12:52:58 pm »
Very interesting Syros bronze wth very artistic Pan's portrait. And this is very rare one.
Nice addition!
Ω ΖΕΥ, ΠΑΤΕΡ ΖΕΥ,
ΣΟΝ ΜΕΝ ΟΥΡΑΝΟΥ ΚΡΑΤΟΣ.
ΣΥ Δ' ΕΡΓ' ΕΠ' ΑΝΘΡΩΠΩΝ ΟΡΑΪΣ
ΛΕΩΡΓΑ ΚΑΙ ΘΕΜΙΣΤΑ.
ΣΟΙ ΔΕ ΘΗΡΙΩΝ ΥΒΡΙΣ ΤΕ ΚΑΙ ΔΙΚΗ ΜΕΛΕΙ.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity