Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: faustina sr. final id help, please and thanks  (Read 677 times)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
faustina sr. final id help, please and thanks
« on: December 02, 2007, 01:53:53 pm »
Afternoon all,

I am now in the process of attribing a bucketload of coins I have been putting off and go figure, the first one I started with is giving me a bit of trouble.

This one is (as far as I have gotten anyway):

Faustina Sr Denarius
O: DIVA AVG FAVSTINA, Sr. facing r., draped, pearl headgear
R: PIETAS ???, Pietas standing left, dropping incense on altar.
18mm 3.04g RIC 394ish

The prob I am having is that the rev has PIETAS intact on the left and I cannot make out the right, although it looks like a whole lot of room to simply put AVG and for that matter all of the pics on WW show the PIETAS to be broken in various areas with the only PIETAS that I can see that is intact is struck in gold...anyway, any help would be appreciated (and if you know the whole rev legend that would be helpful too!)

Thanks
Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline CANTANATRIX

• Consul
Re: faustina sr. final id help, please and thanks
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 02:09:57 pm »
Should just be 'AVG'

As in my example:

Best,

Andy

"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever." Aristophanes

"He is a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: faustina sr. final id help, please and thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 09:11:37 pm »
Yup, it sure looks like you are right on the legend...and the die's are similar...but the alters are different, matter of fact, of all the examples of RIC 394a on WW it does not look like the alters are the same on any of them...what's up with that!
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sear5/s4598.html#RIC_0394a

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

All coins are guaranteed for eternity