Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: FEL TEMP id?  (Read 728 times)

Offline Jan

• Consul
FEL TEMP id?
« on: November 24, 2007, 03:37:57 pm »
This Constantius II coin has a letter in the left field on the reverse. It looks like an N to me and then this ought to be either Thessalonica 208b or Sirmium 71a. However, the coin is only 14 mm, while the two coin types should be 17-19 mm according to Helvetica's FEL TEMP excel file.

Obverse: DN CONSTAN-(TIVS PF AVG)
Reverse: FEL TEMP-(REPARATIO), left field N or M, exergue not readable

If the letter instead is an M, then Alexandria 84 or Arles 269 are the only ones with a diameter of 15 mm or smaller.

I would be very happy to hear your opinion about this. Can the coin be identified based on style?

Best wishes,
Jan

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: FEL TEMP id?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 04:09:14 pm »
I think the letter in the right field is an  M

Arles 269 has a diameter of 13-15 mm  with an M  in the right field

Offline Jan

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 04:57:53 am »
Thank you Johnny, it is probably an Arles 269. The M/N fooled me a bit. I will try to find another Arles 269 to convince myself completely.

Best wishes,
Jan

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 12:42:14 pm »
Could also be a barbaric, especially with that odd jaw-line.  Can't see enough of lettering to see the style.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity