Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Lack of Discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lack of Discussion  (Read 1949 times)
ROMA
Caesar

« on: November 21, 2007, 10:39:45 am »

I've recently been putting all of my efforts furthering my knowledge of medieval coinage. I'm surprised to see the lack of discussion of medieval coinage on the board. Obviously this is an ancient forum but I figured there would be some discussion of medieval coin here as well. I did a search for medieval forums but didnt come up with anything exciting. I know medieval coins are generally more difficult to collect then ancient coins. Relatively speaking, theyre difficult to find in high grade, and you see much less of them on ebay then ancients. Infact a lot of the medieval coins i do see on ebay are from the same couple kingdoms, and timeperiod. I'm not a collector of islamic coins, im furthering my knowledge in western medieval coins. Is there a forum with this focus thats a little more lively?

Adversus solem ne loquitor
Valerius
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 11:02:40 am »

Quote from: ROMA on November 21, 2007, 10:39:45 am
I'm surprised to see the lack of discussion of medieval coinage on the board.

First you need to define what constitutes medieval coinage. Late antiquity and early medieval tend to blur. Many medievalists start the middle ages with Diocletian and Constantine. By that definition, this forum is very lively on the topic of medieval coinage.

Brian Tierney wrote what some historians consider to be the best intro for undergrads into medieval history,
Western Europe in the Middle Ages 300-1475

...or did the Middle Ages begin in the seventh century (the Pirenne thesis)?   Grin
dpaul7
Consul

Acta est fabula, plaudite!

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 01:26:08 pm »

Hi!

Pick a topic, I'll be happy to discuss it!  I love Medieval coins; just got a nice batch today I'll be working on!

Dpaul7

Age. Fac ut gaudeam.
Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=17252
Nassif
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 12:13:24 am »

As it was reported,middle ages or medieval coinage is something not specific at all,it may include all the islamic coinage,the byzantine and crusader's coinage as well as all western coinage[european ] starting from the 4th or 7th Cent AD,till the fall of Constantinople.I don't agree with you when you said that there is a lack of discussion at this Forum because no body can help you if you don't know what you want exactly....
Nassif.
ROMA
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 11:46:11 pm »

gee your right Nassif there's TONS of discussion in this category! How many threads are started here everyday relative to the roman, or ancient, or greek categories? Even though I think everyone knew what I was talking about you want to pick my statement apart because I didnt specify that I meant after the early middle ages. Fine.

To the following statements, "Pick a topic, I'll be happy to discuss it!" and  "if no body can help you if you don't know what you want exactly...."
How bout my thread i started on 12th century coinage? Weeks ago i wrote it and last i checked not ONE response. So dont try and put it all on me when i ask a simple question!

Nassif
Caesar

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 12:06:02 am »

Few months ago i posted some items in archeology section without response,also some of my coins have been without response last year,even now i have a superb Christian seal in Archeolgy section without any response too....you know sometimes there is field of interests but i can assure you that after more than 2 years at Forum:The Will exist with all members to help...No doubt....
Regards.
Nassif
ROMA
Caesar

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 03:06:11 pm »

I dont want to come across harsh, I guess i just wish there was more interest in medieval coinage. I understand why ancient coinage is more collectable. the greeks and romans produced a lot of beautiful coins, coin quality suffered as middle ages came to be. But there is a great deal of historical significance of the coins regardless of their asthetic quality. I hope myself and others can have some nice discussion about the history of the coins and not just the identification, which seems to be what this forum has consisted of mostly, atleast the few months ive been checking it out.
Im curious, does anyone here specialize in a particular type of medieval coin? I've been trying to collect as many different types from western europe as i can. So far I have pre 1600 examples from the Holy Roman Empire, Hungary, France, Sweden, Poland, Sicily, Naples, Vienna, and Aragon. Still a long ways to go to have a nice representation of Europe!

Plami
Praetorian

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 10:03:04 am »

In all honesty - I have a huge collection of Bulgarian medieval coins. However, I have not seen (at least not in the past couple of years) any topics regarding this type of coinage in the Medieval board. Hence, I rarely open it.

Yes - it is true that medieval coinage tends to be blurry. It is also clear that many of the Bulgarian coins (especially the trachys) resemble Byzantine and thus are often mistaken for Byzantine.  So the only board I really end up participating in is the Byzantine one.

It is unfortunate that this board lacks discussions but it really does. Someone posts a new discussion just about once a month...  Huh Huh Huh
Potator II
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Error communis facit jus

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 10:49:45 am »

Hi ROMA,

Quote from: ROMA on December 05, 2007, 03:06:11 pm
Im curious, does anyone here specialize in a particular type of medieval coin?

Yes I do. In parrallel with my collection of roman coins, I have a collection of coins from Dombes, which was a principallity in the 16° and 17° centuries in a small area northeast of Lyon. I already have 65 of them, and  I'm considering adding a dedicated gallery to those I've already open

But there is a great deal of historical significance of the coins regardless of their aesthetic quality

You are perfectely right. I consider my roman coins having aesthetic AND historical interest. For my feudal ones, they have more historical significance than aesthetic interest. The other "problem" (if it is a problem) is that we must be, say, 20 or 30 guys and gals to find interest in Dombes coinage in the whole France, and I'm probably the only one on Forum. On the other hand there are loads of people interested in ancients and ready to discuss them

Regards
Potator

Vladimir O
Legionary

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 04:06:38 am »

Bulgarian medieval coins:

http://independent.academia.edu/VladimirOvtcharov

Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Lack of Discussion « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop