Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The one that got away  (Read 2460 times)

Offline Run

• Consul
  • Horrible Speller & Slug King
The one that got away
« on: November 20, 2007, 11:23:02 pm »
Many of you have read about my woes in the uncleaned department. Well I have not given up just yet. And tonight I seem to have been rewarded. I got in 70 uncleans today and began my usual ritual 2 hours in the old crock pot then scub till they are done.  The lot looked to mostly be junk. Piles of const's and coins that were round and thats about it. Then I spotted one that looked a bit odd in color. I put it to the side to look at later.  After wasting the better part of the night cleaning these coins I decided to see what that coin with the funny color could be.

Well I was very suprised at what I found. A Den of some type. How this coin ended up in this pathetic lot of coins is beyond me. I can only guess because it is so dirty it snuck by all the people who handled it before it reached me.  I know this is rare but with my luck I never expected it wold happen to me.

Will

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Re: The one that got away
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 12:04:34 am »
Congratulations! It looks like it might be a Severan era denarius with perhaps a securitas reverse.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 01:10:08 am »
Probably Septimius Severus, obv. IMP X (197-8 AD), PACI AETERNAE, Pax seated l. holding branch and scepter.
Curtis Clay

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 08:17:53 am »
Good deal, I've gotten two billon tetradrachm out of uncleaned lots that were so crudded up I suspect that they just got tossed through as well, but never straight silver! (Don't tell your dealer, otherwise we will have another "gold and silver found" guys to deal with!!!!   ;) )

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Run

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 01:51:39 pm »
My " Dealer " will never be informed as to this find. Most of the lot were culls. Just seems this one got by.  :o

From what I can see it loocks like Septimius Severus hair style. He was the one I had picked out as well.

Offline Run

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 09:43:35 pm »
Well here is the final product not bad for 2 bucks.

l sept sev pert avg imp x

paci ae ternae

Pax draped seated on throne holding branch slightly inclined upwards in right hand septer pointing upwards

17 mm 2.8  BMC 253

gavignano

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 10:23:37 pm »
Will - what did you clean it with? The  obverse was pretty cruddy. Nice coin!!! I also got a Sept Severus den in an uncleaned lot, but not nearly as nice as yours!
I think it is cool to have a well worn denarius - that coin could have been in circulation a good fifity years! The liftetime of 2 average citizens!

Offline Run

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 11:05:53 pm »
Lemon juice for 10 min then 48 hours in DW rinse and repeat. Took 16 days but results were pretty good.

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 08:04:28 am »
Very nicely done...   ;D

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 10:35:34 am »
I glanced at this topic last night and did not put the fact that the second post was a pic of the same coin together! What a fantastic job! Thanks for posting it!

Chris

Peter Williams

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 01:49:21 pm »
Stunning!

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 08:28:04 pm »
Very nice coin. I would have had the patience to clean the coin with a 16 process. I would have probably used a "magic eraser" on it so I could see what it was right away.  ;D

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 10:10:39 pm »
Very nice coin. I would have had the patience to clean the coin with a 16 process. I would have probably used a "magic eraser" on it so I could see what it was right away. ;D

lol...me too...the M.E. rocks!

Chris

All coins are guaranteed for eternity