Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 04:43:51 am
Search Calendar Login Register

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderator: AlexB)  |  Topic: Ottoman coin question! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ottoman coin question!  (Read 436 times)
dpaul7
Caesar

Acta est fabula, plaudite!

« on: November 16, 2007, 05:49:55 pm »

Hi!

I am working again for a friend to identify a coin!  This one I think is Ottoman....

I am interested in finding the mint - (where is it on the coin?)

Also... the date appears to be in A.D.!!!  (Or are those numbers something else?) 

Any ID help here is appreciated!

dpaul7

Age. Fac ut gaudeam.
Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=17252
Manzikert
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 06:39:01 pm »

Hi

This is a brass jewellery piece, based on the gold 1/2 sultani coins of Algeria: the obverse is a fairly close copy, but the reverse is a fantasy: it may represent the name of the jeweller/manufacturer who made it.

The date appears to read something like 1857 in arabic numerals, and these seem to date to the mid-late 19th century, so the date might be the real date of production.

Best wishes

Alan
dpaul7
Caesar

Acta est fabula, plaudite!

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 07:14:21 pm »

Thanks, Alan!

I had seen these jewelry pieces listed on ZENO - but I could not find this coin under Algeria  (That wsa my instinct... to look at Algeria, as the obverse DID look llike that type). 

But the date and the odd reverse lettering made me wonder if it was a fantasy piece!  I did not connect the piece to Jewelry Piece because I thought the coin was copper, and a large coin. (I was working off of a photo).

On a slightly different (and funny) note -- I just bought a lot of Medieval/Renaissance pieces from a dealer in Budapest.... some nice coins, from the pictures... but there among them is a little golden-colored Islamic coin (with a hole, as pictured on Zeno); and the same type of reverse.  I think it is a copy of an older piece than Mahmud.... but I'd bet the farm it is one of these jewelry pieces!  What a coincidence!

Again, many thanks for your help!

dpaul7 - Dave Ruckser

Age. Fac ut gaudeam.
Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=17252
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderator: AlexB)  |  Topic: Ottoman coin question! « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop