Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Legend on medieval French Denars  (Read 1033 times)

Offline ROMA

• Caesar
Legend on medieval French Denars
« on: November 14, 2007, 07:31:53 pm »
I've come across the legend  + ONOR FORCAS on some medieval french denars and tried to find the meaning. I think I found an exerpt that explains it and more about a coin of interest but it came out fragmented in my tranlator, obviously its in French... If anyone knows what this legend means or tell me if the meaning is found in the following below id be thankful!

Ce monnayage, l'un des plus abondants du Moyen-Âge, débuta, d'après MNF, vers 1012 avec Centulle le Jeune, vicomte de Béarn. Mais le monnayage ne commencerait pas réellement avant Centulle IV (+ en 1088) qui prit le titre de comte. Le monnayage dura encore longtemps après la mort de Centulle V, en 1134, jusqu'au XVe siècle. Au revers le mot Onor signifiait Seigneurie et celui de Forcas faisait référence au château de la Hourquie (fourches patibulaires). En fait, d'après Jean Duplessy, Trésors, ce monnayage se rencontre couramment aux XIIe et XIIIe siècles. Notre exemplaire, avec un poids lourd et un diamètre de 18 mm, peut être daté du XIIe siècle. Ce denier fait penser aux deniers de Toulouse pour Alphonse Jourdain .
Adversus solem ne loquitor

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Legend on medieval French Denars
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 09:04:57 pm »
"This coinage, one of the most abundant of the Middle Ages, began, according to MNF, around 1012 under Centullus the Younger, viscount of Bearn. It only took up in earnest, however, under Centullus IV (died 1088), who took the title Count. The coinage continued long past the death of Centullus V, in 1134, until the 15th century.  The word ONOR on the reverse means Master and FORCAS refers to Chateau Hourique (forked gibbets).  According to Jean Duplessy's book on hoards, this coinage was in continuous circulation in the 12th and 13th centuries.  Our specimen, with its heavy weight and diameter of 18 mm, can be dated to the 12th century.  This denier is reminiscent of the deniers of Toulouse for Alphonse Jordain."

I don't know how to anglicize some of the personal and place names.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity