Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another holed coin  (Read 841 times)

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Another holed coin
« on: November 14, 2007, 04:37:54 pm »
This is interesting, though probably not "coin of the day" material.  It's a denarius of Hadrian with a base metal loop attachment.  Thanks to Andreas for pointing this one out to me.

The loop reacts with medium strength to a magnet. It must therefore contain a ferromagnetic substance such as iron, cobalt or nickel. The rusty appearance suggests some iron content, but the magnetic effect is not strong enough for it to be pure iron.

The lumps on each face of the loop look like the heads of a rivet, so a hole in the coin can be deduced. The off-side positioning of the loop, which is now corroded in place, suggests that at one time it swivelled freely.

A light-coloured core is visible on both sides of the loop, suggesting that the coin was once suspended on a silver wire.

Given the likely iron content, this loop might not have been attached in ancient times, but it does not look particularly modern, either. 

This is another example of a coin with an astrological theme being chosen as a personal adornment.  The off-centre positioning of the hole seems to be quite common in ancient coins.  In more modern times, the attraction of symmetry is irresistible.

This image is an amalgam of four different photos.  I had to combine two to get a decent image of the reverse.  The depth of field in these shots is so shallow that the loop and the coin were not both in focus at the same time.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Ardatirion

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
Re: Another holed coin
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 08:37:26 pm »
I was watching the same coin! But I didn't have the surplus money to spend on it.   :( Its so cool!

Metrodorus

Re: Another holed coin
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 10:20:39 pm »
Now I know what type of coin to get minted by the emperor Hadrian!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity