Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Surely not Domitian?  (Read 716 times)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Surely not Domitian?
« on: November 10, 2007, 04:42:11 pm »
Hi all
I bought this coin quite cheaply as an ancient counterfeit dupondius of Domitian.
But somehow it doesn't look like Domitian, does it ?
The legend is pretty much illegible with VS(?)KAI_IVA--- on the right. The reverse shows a female deity (Concordia?) seated on a curule (?) chair, resting her left arm on a cornucopiae and holding a vertical sceptre or spear in her right hand. The only letters I can see here are II PP to the right of the cornucopiae.
I do realise it's an ancient counterfeit but I'd be interested to know who the obverse bust is supposed to represent. It looks a bit like Macrinus (unbearded) or Treb Gallus, that sort of period.
Any ideas?

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Surely not Domitian?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 05:13:11 pm »
Trajan.

Barry Murphy

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 05:36:29 pm »
I own a barbaric Trajan-of-the-sorts with the same curule chair made of a cornucopiae.

Frans

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 04:23:47 pm »
I wondered about Trajan - but the head seems to long, but seeing as the entire coin seems to have been flattened, Trajan it will be. I dislike putting coins into my collection without some kind of an identification.
Thanks to Barry and Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity