Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: To keep cleaning or stop?  (Read 2521 times)

Offline fordicus

• Consul
To keep cleaning or stop?
« on: November 08, 2007, 10:57:13 pm »
My natural inclination is to stop, as cleaning the green encrustations will cause more trouble than it is worth and the coin is already attributable. What do you guys think?

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: To keep cleaning or stop?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 11:53:50 pm »
If the metal surface is as it seems, I'd let well enough alone, for the health of what is left.  These coins are so often smoothed to death.  Others may differ, but what if what is underneath is both uglier and more fragile?  Pat L.

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 12:49:36 am »
I'd call it done if I were you.  :)
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 04:11:19 pm »
Leave it be. From experience I would say if you were able to pull that chunk off of the obverse there would be rough raw metal underneath with no patina at all ( i did that to poor vespasian's cheek on a coin I am working now!)

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 04:42:03 pm »
I would take it on myself  :) 
The green seems to be similar to some of the green stuff on coins I am currently working on and it has come off of those very nicely, although it is very slow to do.  On your coin the metal seems to be good enough underneath, but it is a risk as to whether there is any patina under the crust.  See pic below for an example of one I worked through.
regards
Mark

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 05:07:42 pm »
if that was my coin,  I probably would clean parts of it a bit more.  Such as the reverse from the center  out to the rim  at 1 to 3 oclock,  and work on the face  to even out the patina,  I'm pretty sure the black should come off with a little patience  and poking

but that is only my opinion

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 09:01:32 am »
My natural inclination is to stop, as cleaning the green encrustations will cause more trouble than it is worth and the coin is already attributable. What do you guys think?

So...what did you decide to do? (just curious)

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 09:33:11 am »
I would stop. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline fordicus

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 03:36:51 pm »

So...what did you decide to do? (just curious)

Chris

I decided to flip the coin for now. I've only been cleaning coins for about 7 months now so if I gain some more confidence I'll pick it up later. I don't currently have a microscope to use so I'm afraid using a scalpel without one might be too much risk. I appreciate everyone's help  :)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 01:30:27 pm »
I'd leave it; the green doesn't detract from the coin.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 02:04:32 pm »
chickens  ;)  ;D

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 02:36:55 am »
Ave!

chickens ;) ;D

Back in the day when I was D&D Dungeon Master, we once had a saying: "No Guts, No Glory..."

From my end, I see no problem at all for further cleaning this coin. The Obv shiny bit at one o'clock shows that the metal beneath the surface grunge is quite sound.

I would take it on myself :)
The green seems to be similar to some of the green stuff on coins I am currently working on and it has come off of those very nicely, although it is very slow to do. On your coin the metal seems to be good enough underneath, but it is a risk as to whether there is any patina under the crust. See pic below for an example of one I worked through.
regards
Mark

I again agree with Mark...but I'm an iconclast, after all.  ::)

Here's what I would do if the coin were mine: (Patina-purists need hide their eyes on this one, trust me.)

A 3 day soak in Gringotts Conservator Mix just to loosen up the gunge. Then use a Dremel SBBB
under running water to gently remove the green/black encrustations. A DDDP #1 will further clean out the details on both sides. Now return to the SBBB for final cleaning. At this point, the coin will be rather stripped of patina, but all the original details should be clear. A short 20 second soak in Jax Brown solution should darken the shiney bits and you'll have a much cleaner presentation for this coin.

Kevin

"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 05:37:40 pm »
Ave!

Back in the day when I was D&D Dungeon Master, we once had a saying: "No Guts, No Glory..."

Aha!  The truth comes out!!!

:evil:

I bet we aren't the only two Roman Coin Collector/ex-DMs.

;D
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity