Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: HELP ROMAN ????  (Read 658 times)

CHUCK BILLINGS

HELP ROMAN ????
« on: November 08, 2007, 07:40:31 am »
Just want to start bye saying again THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE BEEN SO HELPFULL. Coin about 7 grams One inch diameter. I cannot really say anything more as i cannot make out any of the legend on obverse or reverse. Reverse eagle appears to have laurel wreath in beak standing possible on thunderbolt ??? Don"t know. Legend that was there appears to go completely around coin on obverse and reverse. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS MUCH, CHUCK.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: HELP ROMAN ????
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 07:56:06 am »
Hi Chuck,
it's a Provincial from Thrace (probably Markianopolis), emperor is Elagabal, possibly Severus Alexander.
I can't tell more from the picture.
See if you can tell from the coin if the last part of the reverse legend is: MAPKIANO :Greek_Pi: OLIT :Greek_Omega: N .

You can also try to match the first part to the inscriptions associated with provincial governors here:

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

This will also help greatly in determining the mint and emperor.

Andreas

I now think it's most likely Severus Alexander, like here:

obv: Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
rev: Eagle standing , holding wreath in beak.
Struck 221-235 A.D under governor Tiberius Julius Festus
AMNG 1022
Moushmov 714

(from Jericho's gallery)

Apparently I've got one myself!

Severus Alexander, 222-235
AE27, 8.9g
obv: AVT K M AVP CEVNP[] AΛEZANDPOC, laureate head right
rev: VΠ TIBIC VΛ ΦHCTOV MAPKIANOΠOΛIT, ΩN in exergue, eagle standing facing, head left, wreath in beak
AMNG 1019 (don't know where I got this)

All I found here in the galleries were SevAl. from Markianopolis under governor Julius Festus.
You should be able to confirm the legends with the coin in hand.
Andreas Reich

CHUCK BILLINGS

Re: HELP ROMAN ????
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 08:19:30 am »
Hi Andreas, Thanks I think you hit it on the head with Severus Alexander. Appreciate the help will further reasearch it now that i now were to start. Thanks again, Chuck.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity