Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Con...? w/bird (phoenix?) on pyramid id help please  (Read 733 times)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Con...? w/bird (phoenix?) on pyramid id help please
« on: November 05, 2007, 10:40:46 pm »
I just got this today from a local coin shops junk bin. The high points are all shiny and it looks as if someone started to clean and gave up...anyway...

looks to be a standard "Cons..." type bust on the obverse (i have not started cleaning yet other than a quick soak and a nylon brushing) and the reverse (which caught my eye) has a bird (phoenix?) with a halo of sorts standing on a pyramid (or possibly a wedding cake type structure?) with what looks to be SIS in the ex. It is probably a pretty common coin, but I have not seen a reverse like it and kinda liked it! Maybe a Constantine commemorative?

19mm 1.49g

Thanks,
Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Con...? w/bird (phoenix?) on pyramid id help please
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 10:45:32 pm »
The reverse is FEL TEMP REPARATIO, a type introduced by Constantius II and Constans in 348, it is probably the latter.  Yes, the bird is a phoenix.

Steve

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 10:56:32 pm »
And the pyramid is a pyre shape.  Others show the glorious phoenix on a sphere.  Pat L.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 11:05:27 pm »
Thank you both!

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 03:32:25 am »
Hi Chris!

Here is a nice link for you https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=14431.0 Try a look!

Best regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity