Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Statuary of future emperors  (Read 1745 times)

basemetal

Statuary of future emperors
« on: November 10, 2007, 07:09:54 pm »
This is something that may be common knowledge, but I don't believe I've heard or read about the protocol for a roman noble to commission a bust of himself.   There are many busts of let us say, less than commonly known Imperial Romans, such as philosphers, poets and middle class people, but for instance, since Antoninus Pius didn't assume the purple till middle age does that mean that no busts or other statuary of him ever existed as a boy or young man?
Was this in some fashion a perogative of roman rulers and their families?  For that matter the same question would apply to Hadrian
Any discussion appreciated.
Bruce

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Statuary of future emperors
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 11:30:02 am »
I'd have thought it was more the prerogative of those with enough spare denarii to commission statues of themselves and their relatives.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 12:29:34 pm »
I suppose the equivalent would be the great English country houses, where aristocrats or tradesmen made good, would commission portraits (and busts) of themselves and their families to say "Look at me, aren't I great; didn't I do well".
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 04:34:04 am »
There are lots of non-Imperial busts and statues that have survived, including some very impressive examples. The reason why so much Imperial sculpture has survived is that it was commissioned invast quantities accross the entire Empire, whereas private sculpture may have consisted perhaps of one or two items created over an individuals entire lifetime in one specific area.
I'm not aware of any pre-Imperial busts of Hadrian, Antoninus Pius or other emperors, but then, there is much i'm not aware of.
                                                                              LordBest. 8)

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 06:14:02 am »
There seem to be a few of Marcus Aurelius youthful enough to pre-date his becoming Augustus, but as he was Caesar for a long period there is no surprise in that.  I'd say it is just a matter of probabilities: those busts would have existed, but as the survival rate for statuary is so low (although a lot higher than some other forms of art) we're obviously far more likely to see specimens of emperors, certainly produced in higher quantities than of any other citizen of their time.

Steve

basemetal

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 09:07:18 pm »
It also occurs to me that commissioning a bust of oneself could have at certain times and places, could have been risky politically.  A guess is the adornment of the bust would be a factor. To use an extreme fanciful example a regional governer who had a bust of himself created with say,  a radiate crown might find out in hindsight that it was not the ideal vehicle for advancement.
Bruce
Basemetal

All coins are guaranteed for eternity