Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2014, 03:53:41 pm
Search Calendar Login Register

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Buying and Selling  |  FORVM ANCIENT COINS' SHOP  |  Topic: Forum coins are a bargain 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Forum coins are a bargain  (Read 5357 times)
Dave A
Praetorian

I think I'm becoming a god.

« on: October 30, 2007, 08:06:36 am »

This is not new to many of you but I just wanted to say what is a growing trend in my opinion.
Since I can only speak for myself I will make my point in terms of what I collect.  My collecting field of interest is very small so I have to check all the various places where coins are available on a daily bases.  I collect only Flavian sesterces.
I have bought coins from many sources, and yes ebay too.  But I have increasingly noticed that for my area of collecting ebay is much less attractive price wise than ever before, not to mention other obvious potential problems.
I have bought many great coins right here at Forum from Joe.  But I find that now, even more than ever, Forum is a bargain.  I now find that ebay Flavian sesterces of comparable condition often sell for comparable prices and sometimes even more than I can get the coin for here.  Not to mention all the advantages of buying your coins here.  Of course we all look for that great deal on ebay and that's OK, but a Forum coin is always what it is represented as.

Dave 

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 09:50:18 am »

Thanks Dave.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
areich
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 03:36:35 pm »

I agree. If a coin in the 'recent additions' catches my eye I usually compare
at the usual sources (to pretend I'm financially responsible) but end up buying here
since it's usually the best deal. And the shipping is so fast, I don't know how you do it!

Andreas

Basemetal
Caesar

In Vino Veritas: There is Also Something in Beer

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 10:11:55 pm »

Once again, you are not paying for just the coin. You are paying for it's guaranteed authenticity. That does not mean that Forum will never sell a fake coin or a coin that is misattributed, or that is not as advertised, but it does mean that you will get your money back, no questions asked. If it is a fake, you will get your money back, If you are just argumenative, you wil get your money back (and the coin will be resold, regardless of your amateur efforts to claim "it's not what was advertised".
If one truly wants to buy ancient coins "without the middleman cost), one still has to pay.
There is no free lunch.  If you want to buy large volumes or even just a few, or even one coin at a "bargain", call up the airlines, go to the coin shows and  do not say "I just want to buy 20 denarius at wholesale prices "  You will be seen and noted as an amateur.
Say: "I want to buy 200 worn denarius at wholesale prices, and shell out $2000. You got a bargain.  Then, pass on the cost of the airline ticket, your room, and your renal car cost divided by the total cost of the coins you may sell.  Divided of course, by the number of coins you have to sell.  Plus of course the shipping cost, the cost of advertising on a website (last I heard, none are free except for the forum members). One thing people who buy coins never consider is the cost of getting that coin to you in NoName, USA, in you hand right out of the mailbox.
Bruce
Basemetal
Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 02:02:54 pm »

Today if you bought 200 worn denarii for $2000 they would be barely identifiable as coins.  Wholesale isn't that cheap.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Frans Diederik
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

carpe diem, vita brevis est!

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 06:36:11 am »

Apart from the cost of getting and sending coins, there is the indusputable time of identifying, describing and photographing. Some coins take up to hours before you find a parallel, others no more than ten minutes. Time = money, too! Professional sellers will have to pay taxes as well, so in this respect, yes, Forum coins are a bargain!

Frans
IhsantheCursed
Praetorian

"Pax portis Tyrannis!"

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 05:43:33 am »

While I am VERY new still to collecting ancients, I agree that Forvm's coins are reasonably priced, and accurately described.

I only know of one other store besides Joe's that I trust...and I know of a few stores.

Hail Caesar!

My Gallery
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=21293
Mark Z
Caesar

Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 09:32:45 pm »

I recently got my first coin from Forvm and after I received it I wondered what took me so long to buy from Forvm  Smiley

I'm currently looking to upgrade several coins in my collection, and Forvm will be the place I go  Smiley

mz

cliff_marsland
Caesar

O Sulla, please save us from fools and villains.

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 10:35:32 pm »

I'm a self-proclaimed bargain hunter, and I've bought 3 coins so far from Forum.  Each one I would consider a bargain.  I would consider the great majority of Forum's coins to be within the range of reasonable market price for type.    There's plenty for all budgets.  Most of the bargains I've picked up are 12 Caesars stuff, but there are bargains in most periods.  I won't pretend that I only buy from Forum, but it's now one of favorite places to buy something.

The Jack Benny in me comes out if something is not market priced.  I almost never buy from auctions either (although the best of my rarities are mostly from auction lots that didn't sell in the past).  This isn't to say I don't sometimes buy moderately expensive coins (few hundred dollar range), but I won't overpay for something.  The same goes for any of my other hobbies.  Well, there is one thing I will (within bounds), a 16" electrical transcription of I Love A Mystery (for a new, uncirculated show), which is the holy grail of transcription collecting.  I was lucky enough to be given mine for free from a fellow old time radio club member.

I also like the flips Forum coins come in.  I don't have to change them to saflips.

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 08:56:16 pm »

Hopefully, you like the flip tags too.  We try to provide as much information as is possible on a little flip tag. 

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
cliff_marsland
Caesar

O Sulla, please save us from fools and villains.

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 10:01:35 pm »

Yes, the tags are nice too.  I keep every dealers' flip tag.

Hopefully I'll be able to make another purchase later this week.

nikos k
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 01:55:53 pm »

I live in Europe,Greece but i had my first coin from Forum
72 hours after my purchase.
It came super fast,safe and greately packaged.
I have to thank Joe for this
And the most important for me?
I know that i bought an ANCIENT coin!!!
I am new ancient collector,and i consider my self lucky for finding a source like this
from the begining.
Mark Z
Caesar

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 08:18:54 pm »

Dear Joe, et al @ FORVM,

I browse through the FORVM catalog often and I had a question regarding interpreting the grades.

For example, I see "gVF" (obviously "good VF") and I was wondering if that is BETTER than VF, WORSE than VF, etc.

Regarding "aVF" ("about VF"),  can I assume that that is just a tad less than VF?

How about "Choice gVF"?

Is "Choice VF" better than "gVF"?

What are the characteristics that make a coin "aVF" as opposed to "VF" as opposed to "gVF" in your mind?

Same questions would apply to the "EF" and "F" categories, as well.

Thanks!

Mark Z.

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 07:25:39 am »

aVF means about Very Fine, which is not as good as VF.
gVF means good Very Fine, which is a little better than VF.

Choice refers to eye appeal, mostly centering. 

Grade doesn't really matter much at all.  Look at the photo to determine what YOU like. 

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
areich
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 07:40:26 am »

So is there a difference between gF and aVF?

Rich Beale
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Nec Aspera Terrent

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 08:01:33 am »

aVF is a litte better than gF. It can be explained as, for example, the difference between B+ and A- in a standard academic grading system.
Mark Z
Caesar

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 10:09:33 am »

Joe/Rich,

Thanks for those clarifications Smiley

I especially appreciate the explanation of "choice" as I was a bit foggy on that.

mz

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 10:27:53 am »

BTW, notice the word choice is blue.  All blue text is link text - click it and you will often find out what you want to know. 

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Ryan C
Caesar

FESTINA LENTE

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 05:37:41 pm »

I have only purchased 2 coins from Forvm so far, but they were undoubtedly bargains. A Jovian for under $20 and an actual ex. Malloy collection crusader denier that although chipped and not attributed exactly to the specific ruler is a nice keepsake and was somewhere in the $10 dollar range, very nice bargains. Both purchased with complete confidence from a company that is the best in the field, thanks to Joe and those who assist him. Hats off to Forvm Ancient Coins!- Ryan C.

P.S. I am already trying to guess how many words in this post are going to turn up blue..... Smiley

Ryan Collins, happy member of the Forvm.
MidWestGuy
Praetorian

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 05:00:12 pm »

I'm new to this hobby/sport/competition  Cheesy  so that's why I'm asking this question - do members of this forum sell their coins on this site or are the coins sold by one owner?  Also, are the coins sold here guaranteed to be real and not fake?  To get to the point - is this store a good place for a newbie to buy coins and not have to worry about fakes
Mat
Caesar

Ancient Coin Addict

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 05:32:15 pm »

I'm new to this hobby/sport/competition  Cheesy  so that's why I'm asking this question - do members of this forum sell their coins on this site or are the coins sold by one owner?  Also, are the coins sold here guaranteed to be real and not fake?  To get to the point - is this store a good place for a newbie to buy coins and not have to worry about fakes

Some members here to sell their coins on consignment and the owner of the site, but Joe, the owner, sells the coins & they are all guaranteed genuine, nothing to worry about when buying from here.

MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients
casata137ec
Comitia Curiata
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 07:08:13 pm »

...To get to the point - is this store a good place for a newbie to buy coins and not have to worry about fakes

This store is one of the best places you could have ever found to buy with confidence. This is also one of the best sites on the net to learn about your new aquisitions! Smiley

Chris

Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691
daverino
Caesar

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 01:47:17 pm »

Whenever I encounter 'ex-Forvm with attribution tag' coins for sale on eBay they always command a premium price to what might be called comparable offerings.

Thecoinwrangler
Consul

I LOVE THE FORVM!

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2012, 11:42:55 pm »

I agree forum has great customer response and great bargains

Can anyone loan me a sestertius? ~ unknown
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Buying and Selling  |  FORVM ANCIENT COINS' SHOP  |  Topic: Forum coins are a bargain « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop