Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: HELP  (Read 672 times)

CHUCK BILLINGS

HELP
« on: October 30, 2007, 07:28:05 am »
Here i have a coin about 14 grams 1 and 1/4 inch in diameter. partial obverse legend HAVPGEV POSSIBLE. REVERSE CEPA. Any help would be greatly appreciated THANKS MUCH.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 07:33:39 am »
Caracalla from Serdika, Thrace.
The reverse kind of looks like Asklepios which is a popular reverse type there but I'm not sure.
The figure seems to be stading right and the serpent staff is not usually that straight.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 08:20:05 am »
I can add:
obv. AV KM AVR CEV - ANTWN[E]INOC, bust draped and cuirassed, laureate, r.
rev. OVLPIAC - SERDIKHC

The rev. indeed is unusual for Asklepios: He always wears a himation and is never nude. Then the attitude of the l. arm is unusual for Asklepios too. I think it could rather be one of the Herakles types Hristova/Jekov No.12.18.14.2-8, p.84/85, Herakles stg. facing, head r., holding lion-skin over l. arm and resting with r. arm on his club.

Best regards

CHUCK BILLINGS

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 08:29:04 am »
THANKS FOR THE INFO. NOW I KNOW WHERE TO START TO DO SOME RESEARCH. THANKS AGAIN.  CHUCK.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity