Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help-Not much to go on!  (Read 700 times)

Offline Barabus

• Consul
Help-Not much to go on!
« on: October 22, 2007, 02:24:10 pm »
 I've seen you guys ID worse before!This coin is 23 mm and 4.3 grams.The obverse legend is almost gone,but I think I see "COS" at one o'clock. and bust right.The reverse legend is mostly gone. S-C in field.It appears to be a figure standing left.There appears to be some to the right of figure. A challenge to ID,but I can hope.
Organized religion is the second oldest profession, and nowhere near as honest as the first.

Offline Jeremy W

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
Re: Help-Not much to go on!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 02:27:21 pm »
I'm going with Domitian but that's as far as I can get.

Jeremy

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 02:52:13 pm »
Rev. probably MONETA AVG S - C, standing l. holding in r. hand balance whose pans hang either side of the S, in l. hand cornucopia, obv. COS XIII or XIIII, at that low weight probably an ancient cast imitation. 

That would also explain the apparently yellow metal of what should be a red As, since these ancient casts of asses were usually in yellow brass.
Curtis Clay

basemetal

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 07:06:30 pm »
Hi downindixie.
Sorry to intrude, but as an aside, Mr. Clay has given me food for thought.  The whole world of large imperial counterfeits.  I've never seen any discussion of this. 
Bruce
Basemetal

Offline Barabus

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 07:53:16 pm »
 I've looked a the reverse closer and can fiantly see the scales and on the obverse can make out DOMT & COS Xll maybe Xlll.I am in the process of looking at Domitian on wildwinds.
       Thanks for your help!
Organized religion is the second oldest profession, and nowhere near as honest as the first.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity