Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unpublished AVG II C Septimius Denarius  (Read 56524 times)

Offline Lerian

• Consul
Re: Unpublished AVG II C Septimius Denarius
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2011, 01:12:36 pm »
Sorry,

the obv,

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2012, 05:57:21 am »
Here is a II CO, MARTI VICT that I missed out on. It was part of a mixed lot and included an Alexandrian ROMAE AETERNAE. The lot was simply too rich for my blood though I still have some pangs about having missed it. I was hoping that they would have turned up on the boards...

Regards,
Martin

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2012, 07:23:12 am »
You have to wonder if the buyer saw the coin of interest or perhaps liked the others and will throw away the Septimius. 

Reading over this old thread I see a post that I'm sure has been covered in other posts but for the benefit of someone new who reads this might be best updated here:
Doug,
I have never seen the IVST AVG on a COS II. IVST AVG and SEVER AVG appear on COS I and then I have only seen SEVER AVG on the COS II. The SEVER AVG are generally of the same reverse type though I have a Victory walking right, holding trophy in both hands type on a COS I.
Regards,
Martin

See below:

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2012, 06:09:05 am »
I was hoping that this coin would have appeared in this thread, having been bought by one of our members???

An example of the AVG II C, BONI EVENTVS, Cornucopiae type sold recently on ebay. I bid all my available funds but was still outbid - ho hum.

I thought it worth adding to the thread for the record.

Martin

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2012, 06:11:58 pm »
Same dies as the three I reported above: BM ex Bickford-Smith, Vienna, Reka Devnia hoard pl. IV, 44. One can see why I said that the rev. legend is EVENTVS or EVINTVS!

I didn't bid on the nice new one myself, since the BM doesn't need it!
Curtis Clay

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2012, 06:45:08 pm »
Not me Martin. I didn't see it.

Barry

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2012, 03:33:45 pm »
I had the opportunity to buy the II CO, LEG VIII AVO (sic) CR P COS coin that I missed out on some time ago and thought it worth adding it to the thread with a decent image of it. There is something before the C but it could be a die break. The S at the end of COS is far from conclusive too.

Regards,
Martin

[CLICK TO ENLARGE]

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2013, 05:36:15 am »
My II CO, BONAE SPEI suffers from an off centre reverse. I recently had the opportunity to obtain an example with full legends and could not pass it by.

I don't usually buy duplicates but in this case I couldn't resist.

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2013, 06:43:01 am »
And yet another addition to this thread.

I have added another AVG II C, MONETAE AVG, Moneta standing to my collection. I now have two examples each coming from different obverse and reverse dies. I have attached both to this thread. The first coin is my older coin the second coin is my newest addition.

Martin

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2013, 02:01:37 pm »
Another addition to this thread from a recent purchase.

This time an AVG II C, BONI EVENTVS.

Martin

Offline Lerian

• Consul
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2013, 06:03:22 am »
Another addition to add,

Reverse  BONAE  SPET

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2014, 03:24:44 pm »
A while since I was able to add one.

An AVG II C, CERER FRVG.

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2014, 12:31:11 pm »
And yet another addition to this thread.

I have added another AVG II C, MONETAE AVG, Moneta standing to my collection. I now have two examples each coming from different obverse and reverse dies. I have attached both to this thread. The first coin is my older coin the second coin is my newest addition.

Martin

I have added another example to my collection from a third reverse die.
Martin

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2014, 03:18:54 pm »
Added another for this thread..

Obv:– IMP CE L . SEP SE-V PERT AVG . CO, laureate head right
Rev:– FOTVNA-E (sic) R-EDVCI, Fortuna standing left, holding rudder in right hand, cornucopia in left

An uneven strike but a nice enough example.

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2014, 03:45:31 pm »
Martin,

I'm glad you got this from John. I was going to order it for you but forgot about it for a few hours and when I went back it was gone.

Barry Murphy

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2014, 03:54:05 pm »
Barry,
I snapped it up pretty quickly. I didn't spend any time thinking about it.
Regards,
Martin

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2014, 04:57:36 pm »
Much nicer than mine (but a die dupe):

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2014, 04:30:38 pm »
A cross posting in two threads(also in II COS thread) for completeness.

Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG II COS, Laureate head right
Rev:FORTVNAE REDVCI II COS, Fortuna standing left holding rudder and cornucopia

Offline rasiel

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2014, 05:22:22 pm »
It's unfortunate (I think) that "unpublished" still means "I checked in RIC and didn't find it". This coin is listed (#582) in last year's The Complete Coinage of Septimius Severus,  though possibly this same one.

I have this section in mind for a refresh so if you or anyone else reading this finds new variants would you please consider contacting me via email?

Ras

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2014, 05:24:02 pm »
I have never heard of "The Complete Coinage of Septimius Severus"

Barry Murphy

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2014, 05:42:44 pm »
Ras,
I was unaware that it existed. The fact that you have published it as an ebook is interesting especially as I am not longer able to import books to the UK from the USA since postal charges went through the roof.

To which coin are you referring with #582 as there are many coins illustrated in this thread?

The Unpublished title in this thread (started in 2007) related to the MINER VICT example. Since then the thread has been used to capture the examples of these rare legends that members obtain.

I somewhat resent your "I checked in RIC and didn't find it". I have looked back through many posts in this thread ann that certainly isn't how this thread reads.

I check in RIC, BMCRE, RSC, Cohen, Reyka Devnia and my Bickford-Smith offprint when I look at this series as well as checking some major online reources focussed on this series. To be unaware of an ebook that you published last year is understandably "unfortunate" for you.

I have no idea whether the many coins that I have only checked against the references above that I have access to and are apparently of interest to you are of interest or not and other than purchasing your ebook would have no idea whether they really are "unpublished".
Regards,
Martin

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2014, 07:00:09 pm »
I have never heard of "The Complete Coinage of Septimius Severus"

Barry Murphy
Nor I.  Is is online, an eBook or a hard copy? 

Offline rasiel

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2014, 07:35:30 pm »
My bad - I hope you are not offended. I had just read another post elsewhere on this forum about Procopius not in RIC and see it frequently elsewhere. And yes, I am a remarkably poor marketer. In fact, I hate everything about publicizing and ads (not good when you're an independent publisher!) but with the closure of The Celator I'm really at a loss on how to get the word out.

http://www.coinbooks.com/esylum_v16n38a03.html

These really are just draft sections towards the third edition of my book. I have published a couple others too:
http://www.dirtyoldbooks.com/CC/index.html

My apologies again

Ras

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2014, 12:06:34 am »
Ras,

So I downloaded the book and looked up 6 coins that I've published here or elsewhere and none of them show up in your Complete Coinage.

I then tried to look for a coin with your reverse legend 355, TR P IIII IMP II COS II, which you list as a known reverse legend. A search in your book for R355 doesn't yield any results. So you list the legend but don't list a varieties with that legend.

I'm not sure you should be giving people a hard time for listing things as unpublished when they haven't checked your Complete Coinage which my quick perusal has shown to be far from complete.

As long as you keep using the format you've developed for Eric where the user has to look up every bust type, obverse legend, reverse legend, reverse type, mint #, then write that all down, then scan through column after column of numbers looking for an exact match, then start from scratch when you have to look up a second coin, no one's ever going to cite your book as a reference. It's just too complicated to use.

Barry Murphy

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2014, 04:20:56 am »
It's just too complicated to use.

When I reviewed ERIC II, I became very much of the opinion that the format was a poor fit for Eastern Septimius.  The system requiring finding the obverse details first and going through a series of steps ending with the reverse type is impossible to use with a series of coins with so many minor legend variations.  Had the first field in the sort been the reverse type so minor things like the differences between IIC, IICO and IICOS obverses would have ended up with adjacent positions in the list, I might have found more user friendliness there but as it is, the chance of making all the right choices to lead to a 'final' level ID was chancy even if it was there.  As I recall there were coins in the plates of ERICII that either were not in the list or that I was too unskilled to be able to track down. 

While it is wonderful to have a catalog of what has sold in major indexed auctions, these big houses are not exactly where one goes to find things that exist only in low grade and extremely low quantity.  Any collector of this series is likely to have a coin or twenty that are 'unpublished' using the definition 'not in RIC' and not in the major sales.  Using the word 'complete' raises the hopes of those of us who would love to see a revised RIC for Septimius.  When I saw that this eBook was just a subset of the next ERIC (meaning it would use that same laundry list organization) and when I saw neither Barry nor Martin were in on the project, I lost interest. 

I do wonder if the results for Pescennius Niger would be different because a higher percentage of his coins that sell pass through the big name sellers.  There would still be the problem of so many variant legends for both sides and so many coins existing only in part legend condition with less than completely predictable completions for the gaps.  In this field a 'complete' catalog is going to be a die study.  We might expect the later Rome section to be a better fit to the system but the mess we call 193 to 196 with multiple mints each following their own rules is not the place to risk a word like 'complete'. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity