Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unpublished AVG II C Septimius Denarius  (Read 56572 times)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Unpublished AVG II C Septimius Denarius
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2008, 02:13:45 am »
Here is another new rev. type in the issue, which I acquired from CNG E179, Dec. 2007, 221:

Same II C obv. die as Martin's BONETAE AVG, above; rev. FELICITAS TEMPOR, basket of fruit with three bunches of grapes hanging down from its upper rim.

I have added the type to my inventory above.
Curtis Clay

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 03:16:58 pm »
A recent addition to my collection.... I am very pleased within despite the obvious damage to the coin. It combines a scarcer obverse die with a rare II COS reverse, which in turn is a previously unknown variant... I will be cross posting into the II COS thread so I apologise to those who don't like cross posts.

Regards,
Martin

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2008, 01:13:36 pm »
I would like to see this thread promoted to the "Classical Numismatics" section.
Regards,
Martin

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 03:58:57 pm »
Another AVG II C, MARTI VICT came on the market recently. Selling on a well known auction site for £54.00. It looks like the same reverse die though the images aren't the best.

Regards,
Martin

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 10:12:37 pm »
The following new type was offered by Lanz on eBay on 20 June 2009.  Unfortunately someone else bought it with a bid of 156 euros, around $225, over my bid of 155; the next highest bid was 60 euros!

FORTVAE (sic, N omitted) REDVCI, Aequitas standing l. holding scales and cornucopia.

17 mm, 3.0 gr, 6 h.  From the same obv. die as the MINER VICT coin with which Barry M. started this thread.  See Lanz's photos below.

This combination of the FORTVNAE REDVCI legend with a type of Aequitas is reported on a denarius of Pescennius Niger by Cohen 25 (in a private collection), but does not seem to have been attested before for either Septimius Severus or Julia Domna, at least I can't find any such coin in BMC or RSC.

Curtis Clay

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2009, 03:23:40 am »
Sorry Curtis! I will add my own photo when it arrives.
Martin

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2009, 06:03:08 am »
As promised, here is my own photo of the above coin, now that I have it in hand.
I bought this as a celebration of finally getting myself a job after having been out of work for over 6 months.
Regards,
Martin

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2009, 07:39:58 am »
Curtis,
Could it have been a mix-up of a Moneta type and FOTVNAE legend rather than Aequitas, which would be a completely new type?
Regards,
Martin

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2009, 07:28:35 am »
I have recently added a new II CO coin to my collection. I would appreciate it is Curtis could add it to the list.

Same II CO die. Reverse is a new type to this series as far as I can tell.

MINER VICT, Minerva seated left on round shield, holding Victory on globe and spear (Victory facing right, holding palm over shoulder and raising wreath to Minerva).

There is a MINER VICT, seated type in RIC on Page 139 in the COS I series, described simply as Roma seated on shield, citing RD. I am not sure why it should be described as Roma rather than Minerva left but I have chosen to describe my coin as Minerva with the evidence of the MINER VICT legend. BMCRE (p. 90) also describes as Roma, confirming the existence of the RD coin  from the G. R. Arnold collection. Perhaps someone can explain to me why it should be Roma as per RIC and BCMRE.

This coin has really made my day. Whilst it really is a million miles away in quality from the MINER VICT, Minerva standing coin that started this thread, it is still a nice find. The seller simply described it as "Unknown Roman coin".

Regards,
Martin

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2009, 11:30:51 am »
Not a new type this time I am afraid but I have managed to obtain an example (not in great condition but everything is there to allow attribution) of a II CO obverse die combined with the BONI EVENTVC reverse. This is already called out in the list above but it is another example to be added to the known examples.
I owe Lars a drink for helping me out with passing payment into the Euro zone on my behalf on this one....  ;)
Regards,
Martin

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2010, 04:47:20 am »
An example of the II CO, LEG VIII AVO (sic) TR P COS, eagle and standards sold on ebay recently for $178.50. Four bidders bid over $100 for it so I guess several people recognised it for what it was despite it being described as a "Barbarian Imitation". It was far too rich for my blood. I hope that it found a good home. I thought it worth noting it here.

Martin

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2010, 03:27:50 pm »
An example of the II CO, LEG VIII AVO (sic) TR P COS, eagle and standards sold on ebay recently for $178.50. Four bidders bid over $100 for it so I guess several people recognised it for what it was despite it being described as a "Barbarian Imitation". It was far too rich for my blood. I hope that it found a good home. I thought it worth noting it here.

Martin

Curtis listed this reverse in his October 23, 2007, post to this thread but this one only shows the VO so I assume the VIII A was clear on others.  The price realized by such a coin is really a show of opinions.  One might think a coin with so little reverse legend and relatively weak IICO might go cheaper and I thought the poor ID might sneak this one under $100 but I was wrong.  Coin collectors are strange in the way they pay for high grade details like a laurel wreath but can accept legends off flan that make the coin what it is.  Would you prefer a worn to Fine example with outlines of every letter or a relatively unworn coin identifiable by die data but missing the significant parts of the legend?  Some of my most rare 'Emesa' are quite worn or have other issues but that's probably why I could get them.  This coin was pretty unless you hold all those missing letters against it.  Obviously a few people like it.  Part of me wants to know what the seller thinks at this result.  I suspect he expected the coin to go for less but will now put higher starts on coins that actually are barbarous.

What do you read for TRPCOS? 

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2010, 03:09:43 am »
There is definitely an error in the exergue legend, CR P COS instead of TR P COS is certain.

There MAY be an additional letter before the CR P, but it is unclear on the specimen above and mostly off flan on Oxford's spec. of which I have a plaster cast.

Maybe Barry M. can check the EF JNG specimen for this detail.
Curtis Clay

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2010, 03:38:41 pm »
Here is a recent addition to my collection.

It is a II CO, MONETAE AVG, Moneta seated type, it has the same obverse die as my example above but come from a different reverse die with a different reverse legend break.

Regards,
Martin

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2010, 05:23:01 pm »
Here is an AVG II C combined with a VICTOR IVST AVG reverse to sit alongside the IVST AVS already known.
Regards,
Martin

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2010, 09:59:51 pm »
Does this reverse exist with the standard COSII obverse? We have seen it with all of the variations but I can't recall seeing it with plain old COSII. 

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2010, 09:04:30 am »
Doug,
I have never seen the IVST AVG on a COS II. IVST AVG and SEVER AVG appear on COS I and then I have only seen SEVER AVG on the COS II. The SEVER AVG are generally of the same reverse type though I have a Victory walking right, holding trophy in both hands type on a COS I.
Regards,
Martin

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2010, 05:08:25 pm »
My COSI SEVER with two hands is such a dog it is hard to be too certain about the reverse details but the obverse is a very familiar die.  I have never seen a COSI SEVER with the normal pose and warn to be careful on this one since you have to rule out it being a COSI - I as shown on my specimen.  Is yours a certain and otherwise known COSI die?

I have gone on the theory that the last IVST predated the first SEVER but am unclear on when the change took place.  I do not expect to find a COSII IVST but was surprised when the two hands SEVER showed up with a COSI obverse

I suppose this is also the place to repeat the call for anyone to show a Septimius obverse used with the seated IVST reverse as seen with Julia.  It seems the dies should have been in the room together so there is always a chance they met.

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2010, 05:16:19 pm »
Here is my two hands SEVER...

I don't have a normal pose COS I SEVER though!

Regards,
Martin

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2010, 05:26:27 pm »
Die dupe.  Someday we need a thread to establish which die was used with the most different reverses.  The PEPT COSI has to be up there with one of the AVG dies and the Julia obverse shown here was used quite a bit, too. 

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2010, 03:54:43 pm »
Here is a II CO that I missed recently (snipe failure, grrrrr.). There is quite a bit of damage to the obverse but it is still recognisable. It has a MONETAE AVG, Moneta standing reverse.
Martin

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2011, 07:35:06 am »
Another II CO that I missed recently was part of a bunch of other denarii. II CO with FORTVNAE REDVCI, Fortuna seated with rudder and cornucopia. I have included the image with the other coin from the lot.
Martin

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2011, 04:00:32 pm »
Or RDVCI? I don't see the E.

A shame you didn't acquire it, but thanks for posting.
Curtis Clay

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2011, 04:03:35 pm »
I thought that it might be RDVCI too based on the spacing but wasn't sure enough and without the coin in hand didn't want to make the call. I had to work away and the hotel I went to didn't have broadband! This one ended whilst I was away and so I missed it! I thought it worth bringing to the attention of those interested in the type though.
Regards,
Martin

Offline Lerian

• Consul
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2011, 01:08:50 pm »
Another addition, purchased on ebay (September 2011), although the type is already mentioned.
I understand from Martin that for this rev type there are two dif dies ?

IMP  CAE  L  SEP  SE_V  PERT  AVG  II  C

MO_NET_A_E  AVG
Moneta standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity