Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An unlisted AE fraction of Maximinus II as Caesar at Siscia  (Read 6969 times)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
An unlisted AE fraction of Maximinus II as Caesar at Siscia
« on: November 08, 2010, 09:59:41 pm »
Obv: [MAX]IMIN - VS NOB C Head laureate r.

Rev: ORIEN - S - AVGG Radiate Sol standing l., naked apart from cloak over l. shoulder and falling from l. arm, raising r. hand and holding globe and whip in l. hand; SIS in exergue.

AE 16, 2.43g, 6h; ex CNG E 243, 27 Oct. 2010, 465.

Misattributed by CNG to Galerius as Caesar, this coin is in fact clearly of Maximinus II as Caesar, so must have been struck between 305 and 310 AD. In May 305, upon the retirement of Diocletian and Maximian, Maximinus was made Caesar with Severus II; he was proclaimed Augustus by his troops apparently in 310.

RIC Siscia 193 is an aureus of Maximinus II with the same types, legends and mintmark as the new bronze coin, assigned to 308-9 AD; a specimen is illustrated by Depeyrot, Les monnaies d'or I, pl. 15, 11/5. Doubtless some gold quinarii of the same type were originally struck along with this aureus, and some bronze quinarii were struck too, perhaps from the same dies, of which a specimen has now turned up.

Siscia had struck similar ORIENS AVGG aurei for Constantius I and Galerius as Caesars about five years earlier (RIC 28a-b), and these aurei were indeed accompanied by gold quinarii, with legend ORIENS AVGG for Maximian (RIC 30), ORIENS AVGVSTOR for Constantius and Galerius Caesars (RIC 31a-b, 31a illustrated on pl. 9). For this earlier issue no corresponding BRONZE quinarii have yet been recorded, however.

I was impressed to see that Lech Stępniewski has already entered this new bronze quinarius in his Not in RIC lists, and has corrected the attribution from Galerius to Maximinus, though he apparently overlooked the corresponding aureus, RIC Siscia 193, which shows where the new quinarius fits into the coinage!

Curtis Clay

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
Re: An unlisted AE fraction of Maximinus II as Caesar at Siscia
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 07:31:25 am »
Dear Curtis,

you may be right, but in my opinion the chronology of gold from the group III could be disputable.

If we assume that SISCIA 191 (Licinius) and SISCIA 193-3 (Maximinus) are from the same issue, the date is obvious - after Carnuntum. Apparently, Licinius' coin belongs to the same general ORIENS type which was introduced in Tetrarchy coinage already before Reform. However, I believe that this is a separate variety and Licinius' portrait suggests a rather later date than 308. I know this coin only from poor e-copy of Rivista Italiana...

There is probably only whip in Sol's hand (RIC gives "globe and whip"), chlamys is flying and the general arrangement of the reverse looks different. The star in exergue (mentioned in footnote 1 on p. 478) is also very probable.

And now, for comparison, SISCIA 193:

Personally, I would move Maximinus' aurei to the group II and Licinius' aureus to the group IV. Of course, this is an extreme proposal to exaggerate the gap between those issues

I also believe that the Daia's portrait on the new fraction/quinarius represents the early type of his iconography. So I don't want to contradict the link between this coin and Maximinus' ORIENS aurei. I only point to the possibility that these coins were minted earlier, before Carnuntum.

Siscia had struck similar ORIENS AVGG aurei for Constantius I and Galerius as Caesars about five years earlier (RIC 28a-b), and these aurei were indeed accompanied by gold quinarii, with legend ORIENS AVGG for Maximian (RIC 30), ORIENS AVGVSTOR for Constantius and Galerius Caesars (RIC 31a-b, 31a illustrated on pl. 9). For this earlier issue no corresponding BRONZE quinarii have yet been recorded, however.

Please, take a look at this coin:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/notinric/6sis-94_gal.html

Best regards

Lech Stępniewski

Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 09:52:05 am »
Thanks for your valuable observations.

I agree, the Licinius coin RIC 191 that you illustrate has a DIFFERENT type, Sol ADVANCING not standing left, cloak fluttering not hanging down, only whip, no globe in l. hand, which is lowered not extended to right. So the contemporaneity of this type of Licinius with the variant Maximinus type of the aurei and bronze quinarius is highly questionable.

Still, in the current RIC arrangement, surely the new quinarius belongs "after 197", not "after 167-171", the GENIO POPVLI ROMANI fractions which are totally different beasts than the new quinarius!
Curtis Clay

Offline Tawfik A

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 02:33:58 pm »
Can anyone help me with my unique quinarius of Galerius ? I tried to sell it in an auction but it had bad luck. It is unrecorded. Has any one got information about it?

Offline Tawfik A

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 02:46:11 pm »

Offline Tawfik A

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 02:58:30 pm »
Would you pardon me as it is the first time for me to join your honorable forum. I posted the weight and diameter but it was lost in the previous post.
The weight is 2.93g and diameter is 17 mm
Galerius as Caesar AV Quinarius Rome Ad 298 - 299
D N Maximiano Caes, laureate bust right / PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS emperor standing right, holding transverse spear and globe ; PROM in exergue. RIC- , cf. 9 for anothergold quinarius; Depeyrot- cf. 10/2 for quinarius of Maximian with same reverse type . It is near to very fine.

Does anyone have a reference about Galerius Quinarius, That will help me
Thanks in advance

All coins are guaranteed for eternity