Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Prov emp help needed  (Read 638 times)

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
Prov emp help needed
« on: October 17, 2007, 09:57:30 am »
I am revisiting a coin I have been trying to pin down for many months.  The mint is Phrygia, Kibyra  the reverse legend includes KIB(YP)  AT?N It has a temple with what appears to be an altar.

The obverse legend includes NTKA?TPA?ANOCA(E)  Although it should be very clear it isn't.  The Obverse image, seems to be Trajan Decuis, but I can rule out Phillip I.  It is a radiate image does anyone recognize this image

I have run through the meager coins online from Phrygia, Kibyra and found no temples

The coin is 24.5mm and scales at 7.7g any help would be appreciated
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Prov emp help needed
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 10:37:08 am »
From Isegrim:

PRO: PHRYGIA
PO : CIBYRA
PZ : Between 249 and 251 
 Obverse
VSG: AYT KAI TRAIANOS DEKIOS
VT : PORTRAIT MAN R / DECIUS
VA : WREATH LAUREL / CLOTHES
 Reverse
RSG: KIBYRATWN
RT : TEMPLE-FRONT OF 2 COLUMNS / THEREIN / BASKET
 Technical details
M  : AE
GEW: 8.37(1)
ST : 06(1)
 Bibliographical references
ZIT: SNG KOP 29 303(1)
 Additional remarks
FR : VS: AYT KAI T<RAIANOS> DEKIOS RS: KIBYRATWN 
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
Re: Prov emp help needed
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 11:13:40 am »
Amazing, thanks this one has had me baffled for a while.  I saw that nose and forehead and the bulb went off it might be decuis.  Knew the mint city but found no references, thanks that was a thing of beauty!  Jim
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

All coins are guaranteed for eternity