Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Round 9 Sid  (Read 2351 times)

sid

Round 9 Sid
« on: October 15, 2007, 02:53:40 pm »
The obverses:

sid

Re: Sid Before
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 02:54:21 pm »
And the flip side:

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 06:51:11 pm »
Very nice coins,  should be interesting .. especially the last 2  botton row....The first  one  top row,  is real nice

sid

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 09:52:41 pm »
Okay, I'm ready as I'll ever be:
First up:
Constantine II campgate   
CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C
Laureate Draped Cuirassed
PROVIDEN-TIAE CAESS
SMH gamma
dot in left field
RIC VII Heraclea 96: C2 
3.02g, 18mm

I should add, the photo kind of makes it look like I might have exposed some bare metal. I did not. The only treatment this coin got was a brief soak in water, a wipe with a paper towel, and then picking away at as much of the corroded spots as I dared without exposing any underlying metal.

sid

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 09:57:24 pm »
Constans 
Pearl Rosette
DN CONSTA-NS PF AVG /
GLOR-IA EXERC-ITVS
soldiers with one standard
CONS theta
RIC VIII Constantinople 45: c3
1.53g, 15mm

sid

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 09:59:41 pm »
Valentinian I
DN VALENTINIANVS PF AVG
GLORIA ROMANORVM
TES
B in right field
RIC XII Thessalonica 26a type vii: Scarce
367-375 AD
2.55g, 18mm

sid

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 10:01:20 pm »
Constantius II
DN CONSTAN-TIVS PF AVG
Pearl diademed, Draped, Cuirassed
SPES REI-PUBLICE
AN epsilon?
RIC VIII Antioch 193: Scarce.
355-361 AD
1.98g, 16mm

sid

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 10:11:32 pm »
Constans most likely
DN CONSTA...
laureate, draped, cuirassed /
FEL TEMP REPARATIO. spearing fallen horseman.
unknown exergue
2.21g, 15mm

sid

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 10:20:14 pm »
And a mystery coin.
It seems to be a Byzantine follis, mis-struck, so only the left and right edges have any detail at all.
The best guess image that I can imagine fitting what's left is
obverse: looks kind of like the shoulders and the edge of a nimbus, perhaps around the head of Christ.
reverse: the letter C at the beginning of a legend. a few letters are faintly visible but illegible on the right side. The vertical line by the C could be a long cross, and there might be a faint cross on the right side that could be a globus cruciger, both held by the emperor, whoever he might be.
I looked at every single Byzantine emperor on wildwinds, with no possible matches for both obv and rev. I have no other Byzantine sources, and this is a little too little detail to do much searching the internet for a match.
2.21g, 18mm
edit: I think I was wrong, and I'd like to amend my wild guess for this one. It's not Byzantine, it's an Ottoman manghir or fals. What I took as a C shows signs that it's just a final curve of a longer Islamic script. What looked like a globus cruciger also appears to be Islamic script. And the lines on the other side of the coin are most likely some of the ornate designs you find there. I have even less resources for Ottoman than Byzantine, but I ran across a couple 15th century coins that, while not a match, had enough similarity to think I might be in the ballpark. If I can hone my photoshop skills, I'll try to outline the faint contours that might not just be my imagination.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity