Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Obv. of 193 and II COS on rev. at "Emesa"  (Read 15767 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Obv. of 193 and II COS on rev. at "Emesa"
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2008, 06:01:00 am »
Curtis,
It was my pleasure to send you the cast and I hope that they were of good enough quality to be of use. It was my first attempt at casting. Any future casts required / desired and now be done with relative ease. Seeing the casts of the two coins illustrated above shows the benefits of having these casts together when looking for die matches. I had not suspected that it was a II CO-S obverse and would have remained ignorant of the possibility without your help. I am ecstatic (well almost!).

Could you possibly update the table in the other relevant thread (listing the scarcer obverse legends)?
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=40948

Best regards,
Martin

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 05:35:27 pm »
Another example of the CERER FRVG II COS to add (new addition to my collection). From the same die pair as the other examples.
Regards,
Martin

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 02:25:57 am »
Thanks, Martin.  I have added this coin to the inventory and summary above; the fourth "notch on your belt"!

I have also added to my first post in this thread an image of a new acquisition of mine which is again from the same "193" obv. die whose reading used to be uncertain, and which confirms the second error in the legend, not only CE for CAE, but PEPT for PERT.
Curtis Clay

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 05:03:22 pm »
Another recent addition even though I have almost stopped buying at the moment. It has seen better days, has numerous scratches on both sides, has some encrustation on the reverse and shows decent signs of wear. It is however has clear devices and legends both sides and is a MONETAE AVG II COS from the reverse die I don't have an example of, combined with the CE...PEPT obverse that you have identified above that I also didn't have an example of. It is decent enough to show the CE and the PEPT quite clearly. I am very happy to add it to my collection.

Regards,
Martin

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2008, 01:52:38 am »
It never rains but it pours: unfortunately not on me this time!  For decades the Vienna CE...PEPT obverse die seemed to be unique; now three additional coins from it, all with different reverse types, have emerged over the course of about a year.

I have added Martin's coin, a new variety, to the list above, and have changed the relevant totals in my summary of varieties and specimens that follows that list.

Another specimen of the mule II C / CERER FRVG II COS, no. 8 in the list, recently sold on eBay and was reported by Doug Smith under the Roman Coins board.  I reproduce the image below and have added the coin to the list; 2.97g, sold for $282.

Curtis Clay

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2009, 09:34:16 am »
This topic hasn't seen much activity for a while. I thought I would revive it with a recent addition to my collection. Not a new type but one that Curtis doesn't have a cast of (yet) but he will have as soon as I can have one made and sent across.

This coins has made my day.

Septimius Severus Denarius
Obv:IMP CAE L SEP SE-V PERT AVG, Laureate head right
Rev:– VICTOR IVST AVG II COS, Victory walking left, holding wreath in right hand, palm in left
Minted in Rome. A.D. 193
Reference:– BMCRE W338 note. RIC 262a (Rated R2). RSC 740a.

All references cite the same coin from the 3rd Dura Hoard, Num. Notes and Monographs, 55, Pg 46. No. 216.

Regards,
Martin

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2009, 01:09:23 pm »
I'd say that coin should make your day!  Is the obverse die one you know? 

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2009, 01:18:28 pm »
Yes Doug it is. I had a coin from the same obverse die with the VICTOR IVST AVG legend.

I think that it is also a die match to one of my VICTOR IVST AVS (sic) coins:-

Regards,
Martin

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2009, 04:50:00 pm »
Nice to see an actual specimen of that one!

I have added it in the list above.
Curtis Clay

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2011, 03:46:07 pm »
A IVST AVG II COS recently sold on ebay uk.
Martin

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2011, 05:55:50 pm »
I have managed to obtain a BONI EVENTVS II COS. I believe it to be from a different reverse die than the two examples mentioned above.
Regards,
Martin

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2012, 03:11:58 pm »
I recently saw a Julia Domna, Basket type with II COS sell. It was too much for me but worth noting.
Regards,
Martin

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2012, 03:27:03 pm »
Here is another example of the AVG II C, CERER FRVG II COS mule identified above that I have just obtained with some assistance from Barry. A reverse die match to my A.D. 193 example...

Ex-Roma.

Martin

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2014, 04:24:59 pm »
Obv:IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG II COS, Laureate head right
Rev:– FORTVNAE REDVCI II COS, Fortuna standing left holding rudder and cornucopia

I have finally obtained an example for my own collection. Quite scrappy but there is enough there for a clear reading.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity