Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: tree or hand?  (Read 694 times)

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
tree or hand?
« on: October 09, 2007, 11:38:06 am »
Just came across a hidden stash that I hadn't looked at in a while and one coin really bothers me because I know I've seen it before but I can't remember where!  The style reminds me of the Armenian crusader coins or the medieval cross coins.  The obv is either a crude tree with five branches or a hand within a circle, the whole encased in what appears to be a wreath.  Could the rev be a crescent within a circle with flowing script (Arabic?) on the bottom and ivy/leaves around the top?
I have searched under various combinations of the above terms and can't come up with a pic.  This is so frustrating.
Thanks for any assistance.
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
Re: tree or hand?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 01:28:56 pm »
And it also reminds me of a NY Subway token!
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: tree or hand?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 05:43:32 pm »
Do you have a picture?  Some early Islamic bronzes sort of look like what you described.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity