Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: NEAPOLIS  (Read 2169 times)

Emanuele Giulianelli

NEAPOLIS
« on: October 03, 2007, 07:38:27 pm »
What about this coin ID?

18 / 19 mm
4 gr... so not an Obol?

obv:
Laureate head of Apollo left; E (?) behind

rev:
Man-headed bull standing right, being crowned by Nike who flies above; IS in exergue

something similar to SNG AAns 488 v ??!?

pulvinar

Re: NEAPOLIS
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 11:08:59 pm »
I'm struck by the similarities between this piece and the supposed Carthaginian AE in the other post.  Both have a stangely offset flan edge (more pronounced in the Carthage piece) and similiar wear and strike appearance.  Very puzzling.

Emanuele Giulianelli

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 09:43:31 am »
dear pulvinar, excuse me... what do you mean?

pulvinar

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 10:59:59 am »
If authentic did these coins come from the same hoard?  I can't comment on this piece's authenticity, but the Carthaginian AE makes me nervous with the flan problem.  There are plenty of well-worn fakes out there of the bust/horse head series.

Pul

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 03:28:53 pm »
Quote from: pulvinar on October 05, 2007, 10:59:59 am
If authentic did these coins come from the same hoard?  I can't comment on this piece's authenticity, but the Carthaginian AE makes me nervous with the flan problem.  There are plenty of well-worn fakes out there of the bust/horse head series.

Pul

Might be the shadowing and highlights from the photographic angle. There are more than a few from this series that appear offset until you look closely.

One example is below.

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Emanuele Giulianelli

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 03:36:01 pm »
...so my coins are good?
tell me yes please, Pul scared me...
the seller who gave me these two coins is very serious, a friend of mine who has a coins store in Rome...

pulvinar

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 03:46:19 pm »
Can you provide a picture of the edge/thickness of the Carthaginian AE?  While it may seem improbable that someone would go through the trouble to fake these relatively inexpensive AEs, there are many fakes of this type out there. 

Pul

Emanuele Giulianelli

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 07:46:42 pm »
i posted a thickness picture on the post about Zeugitania

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 02:33:33 pm »
I've never handled one of these, but that edge looks as though the coin could have been struck on a planchet cast in a two-sided mould; they do have an odd appearance. A mould for these was found in Jerusalem; it consists of two stone slabs, with one face ground flat. Shallow holes were drilled, and linked together, so that the two slabs could be fastened together, and metal poured in. The hollows on each side never matched precisely, hence the odd stepped appearance of the flan.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Emanuele Giulianelli

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 03:35:24 pm »
you are talking about the zeugitania coin, i think.
it doesn't seem to be false to me... do you think it's no good?

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 06:26:50 pm »
No, I mean this one. The Zeugitania coin was struck on a planchet cast in a single-sided, tapered mould. That would probably have been a tapered hollow in one slab, and a flat slab to close the mould for casting.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Emanuele Giulianelli

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 11:45:45 pm »
in italy they told me it's a good coin, not a false. are you sure??

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 12:42:31 pm »
I picked up an example of this coin with a very similar problem, and I've doubted its authenticity ever since.  I'd be interested to see if this one turns out to be a forgery.  Here's a picture for comparison.  I know its dark and unclear but I'm working on it!

NJM

All coins are guaranteed for eternity