Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 01:25:14 am
Search Calendar Login Register

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Parthian and Other Eastern Coins (Moderator: Howard Cole)  |  Topic: Coins from Pakistan??? Maybe 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coins from Pakistan??? Maybe  (Read 2041 times)
newbeonecoinobe
Caesar

This a great forum

« on: September 21, 2007, 02:03:43 pm »

This coin was pickup up in Pakistan by a friends Grandmother, he would like to know if it is real or not.  This particular coin is Silver in color, is 22 mm and 5.9 grams.  I kept thinking I had seen one of these on here in the fake coins but a search could not find it.  Any help would be grreatly appreciated.  The two roman coins I could help him with.

Thank you
Pete
Manzikert
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 03:58:12 pm »

Hi

This appears to be a modern fake of a drachm of Menander, see http://www.grifterrec.com/coins/indogreek/i_igk_ans788.jpg on this page http://www.grifterrec.com/coins/indogreek/indogreek.html for a genuine example.

His coin is too large and heavy to be a genuine drachm, but too light to be a tetradrachm, and is far too crude anyway.

Best wishes

Alan
Howard Cole
IMPERATOR
Caesar

Elymais forever!

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 04:02:55 pm »

Yes, I am afraid it is most likely a fake.  The closest I can come is a coin of Menader. 

The reason why I think it is a fake is the weight.  This is the most condemning piece of evidence.   A drachm should weigh around 2.4grams.  A tetradrachm should weigh around 9.7 grams.  You coin is in between these weights, and as far as I can tell no coin was made around 6 grams.

Finally, the style is wrong for these coins, especially the reverse.  Instead of be a solid figure of Pallas standing left, there should be lines that make up the figure instead of solid blocky objects.  The bust is too crude for this coin, especially the eye.

newbeonecoinobe
Caesar

This a great forum

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 09:40:11 pm »

Thank you both Alan and Howard, I thought I had seen the helmet before and I looked at the menander coins on Wildwinds but could not find the same type of helmet.

Thanks again
Pete
Howard Cole
IMPERATOR
Caesar

Elymais forever!

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 09:58:53 pm »

That is not a helmet but hair with a diadem.

newbeonecoinobe
Caesar

This a great forum

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 10:11:18 pm »

Thanks Howard, I would have never guessed.

Pete
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Parthian and Other Eastern Coins (Moderator: Howard Cole)  |  Topic: Coins from Pakistan??? Maybe « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop