Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coins from Pakistan??? Maybe  (Read 3349 times)

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
Coins from Pakistan??? Maybe
« on: September 21, 2007, 04:03:43 pm »
This coin was pickup up in Pakistan by a friends Grandmother, he would like to know if it is real or not.  This particular coin is Silver in color, is 22 mm and 5.9 grams.  I kept thinking I had seen one of these on here in the fake coins but a search could not find it.  Any help would be grreatly appreciated.  The two roman coins I could help him with.

Thank you
Pete

Manzikert

Re: Coins from Pakistan??? Maybe
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 05:58:12 pm »
Hi

This appears to be a modern fake of a drachm of Menander, see http://www.grifterrec.com/coins/indogreek/i_igk_ans788.jpg on this page http://www.grifterrec.com/coins/indogreek/indogreek.html for a genuine example.

His coin is too large and heavy to be a genuine drachm, but too light to be a tetradrachm, and is far too crude anyway.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 06:02:55 pm »
Yes, I am afraid it is most likely a fake.  The closest I can come is a coin of Menader. 

The reason why I think it is a fake is the weight.  This is the most condemning piece of evidence.   A drachm should weigh around 2.4grams.  A tetradrachm should weigh around 9.7 grams.  You coin is in between these weights, and as far as I can tell no coin was made around 6 grams.

Finally, the style is wrong for these coins, especially the reverse.  Instead of be a solid figure of Pallas standing left, there should be lines that make up the figure instead of solid blocky objects.  The bust is too crude for this coin, especially the eye.

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 11:40:11 pm »
Thank you both Alan and Howard, I thought I had seen the helmet before and I looked at the menander coins on Wildwinds but could not find the same type of helmet.

Thanks again
Pete

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 11:58:53 pm »
That is not a helmet but hair with a diadem.

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 12:11:18 am »
Thanks Howard, I would have never guessed.

Pete

All coins are guaranteed for eternity