Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING UNTIL 3 FEBRUARY Layaway and reserve are not available during the sale Shop NOW and save! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING UNTIL 3 FEBRUARY Please call us if you have questions 252-646-1958 Shop NOW and save!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Noah ibn Mansour,Samanid, script? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Noah ibn Mansour,Samanid, script?  (Read 793 times)
Arya Aravand
Consul

« on: September 11, 2007, 03:16:23 pm »

This is a coin (actually my biggest one with a diameter of 45 mm!!) of Noah ibn Mansour of Samanid (AH 365-387/ AD976-997). Can any one please read the scripts for me? I just can read the Noah ibn Mansour and Eghbal on top of the obverse. What are the others? is there any mint or date?
Andalusian
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 11:12:14 pm »

Unfortunately, most of the details on the coins are unreadable.
Howard Cole
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Elymais forever!

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 05:58:50 am »

I suggest that you post it on the Islamic coin group ran by Yahoo Groups.  I had one not much better than yours and it was identified within an hour of posting by Lutz Ilisch, an expert in Islamic coins.  Here is the URL to the group.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/islamic_coins/

You have to post the pictures in the file section or the picture section, and send a link to the group to look at it.

The coin was minted by Nuh II ibn Mansur at Ma'din.  Here is a picture of my coin. 

Arya Aravand
Consul

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 09:46:14 am »

That's great Howard. I think that the coins of this type had not been made of a good silver, since most of them are heavily worn, like mine and yours. I didn't know that you are also interested in Islamic coins. Thank you for introducing the forum. That would be of great help to me. I will post it there.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Noah ibn Mansour,Samanid, script? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop