Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Noah ibn Mansour,Samanid, script?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Arya Aravand

• Consul
Noah ibn Mansour,Samanid, script?
« on: September 11, 2007, 05:16:23 pm »
This is a coin (actually my biggest one with a diameter of 45 mm!!) of Noah ibn Mansour of Samanid (AH 365-387/ AD976-997). Can any one please read the scripts for me? I just can read the Noah ibn Mansour and Eghbal on top of the obverse. What are the others? is there any mint or date?

Andalusian

Re: Noah ibn Mansour,Samanid, script?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 01:12:14 am »
Unfortunately, most of the details on the coins are unreadable.

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 07:58:50 am »
I suggest that you post it on the Islamic coin group ran by Yahoo Groups.  I had one not much better than yours and it was identified within an hour of posting by Lutz Ilisch, an expert in Islamic coins.  Here is the URL to the group.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/islamic_coins/

You have to post the pictures in the file section or the picture section, and send a link to the group to look at it.

The coin was minted by Nuh II ibn Mansur at Ma'din.  Here is a picture of my coin. 

Offline Arya Aravand

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 11:46:14 am »
That's great Howard. I think that the coins of this type had not been made of a good silver, since most of them are heavily worn, like mine and yours. I didn't know that you are also interested in Islamic coins. Thank you for introducing the forum. That would be of great help to me. I will post it there.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity