Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Phillip I Provincial Bronze Help  (Read 707 times)

SeanJD

Phillip I Provincial Bronze Help
« on: September 08, 2007, 01:47:51 pm »
Hi, all.  Having a bit of trouble sorting this one out, and would appreciate help.  It's a bit worn, but considering it's a self-cleaning job, i'm pretty pleased.

Obv. -- IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG  (head right, appears radiate, but hard to tell)
Rev. -- CO_LFLP_ACDEVL , T in exergue.  Note that there's either a banker's mark or a gash in the legend at around 3 o'clock, so the D and much of the E is obscured, but this legend seems likely.  (figure seated left, holding staff to rear of chair/throne, with other hand thrust forward holding sheaves of grain or similar).

I can't find any example of a similar coin with both this legend and a seated figure.  any ideas?  I'm assuming, btw, that this coin is from Deultum in Thrace.  Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Also, out of curiousity, why do so many provincial coins have the small, round holes at the center of the coin?  seems post-minting, no?

thanks for your help!

S.

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Phillip I Provincial Bronze Help
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 01:55:10 pm »
The mint is Deultum in Thracia.
Mouchmov 3767 - Pax seated, holding olive-branch and sceptre.
[BROKEN LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Regards

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 02:40:07 pm »
There are no examples of this type in SNG Bulgaria so I think this is a scarce(ish) variety - congratulations.

for the centration dimples question just do a search here for "centration dimples"  and check out Doug Smith's page

http://dougsmith.ancients.info/pit.html

Malcolm

SeanJD

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 04:22:26 pm »
thanks, bacchus and arminius, for your quick and informative replies.  i appreciate your help!

any idea where i can find an image of a similar coin online?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity