Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Why do some coins get brass streaks...  (Read 1742 times)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Why do some coins get brass streaks...
« on: September 03, 2007, 09:51:44 am »
...and what can be done about it? I use a brass/pin scraper setup in a double sided pin vice (I am using hobby grade rod stock for my pins, cut down and sharpened) and a standard fine bristled brass brush for my manual brass tools, and on most coins it is fine, but on some I can barely touch them and there is a brass streak on the surface of the patina (literally, not the coppery look of rubbed off patina, but a translucent goldy/brassy sort of color). Anyway, how do I avoid this (well, I can figure that out), and how do I get the brass leavings off?

Thanks

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Re: Why do some coins get brass streaks...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 11:24:32 am »
Can you post a picture?

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 12:45:23 pm »
Crud, soon as I run in to one again, I usually just toss them back in the pot. (thanks for all your responses btw awl)

Chris

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 02:03:45 pm »
what you are seeing is probably the brass coming of your pin. It is softer than the material you are trying to clean, so it comes off. I know in metal working the sometimes use "pencils" made of aluminum for the same reason, it marks easily and is just as easy to rub off.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 04:27:03 pm »
Bruce, that's what I was thinking, but I wanted to be sure that it wasn't some sort of reaction that I didn't know about yet, it does seem that if you throw them back in #1 for a day or so that it brushes off with a nylon brush. (probably particles that get embedded in the clay)

Chris

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 08:59:46 pm »
Very often you can wipe of buff it off right away.

There is a technique among metal workers called brassing. You heat the work piece you to high red and rug it with a brass brush. the brass wil stick to the hot surface, so when the item is cool, there is a brass layer. Generally the piece that is being worked is iron or steel. Sometimes copper is used instead of brass.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 07:02:41 pm »
For removing the brass streaks I try rthe following steps, stopping when it works: rubbing with finger, then nylon brush, then nylon dremel, the fibreglass brush.  Do all when coin is wet.  Never had marks I can't get off.

Because, as Bruce says, it is a sign that the brass pin is softer than the material, brass streaks can be a sign it is time to change to a harder pick.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 08:20:34 pm »
All good advice, thanks.

Chris

All coins are guaranteed for eternity