Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: "Safe" Storage  (Read 2029 times)

Peter Garretson

"Safe" Storage
« on: September 03, 2007, 12:08:45 am »
I have a question about long-tern storage of my growing collection ... (isn't it amazing how quickly 10 becomes 100 and then suddenly, a 100 begins approaching 1,000)

Yes, I put my coins in "archival-quality" PVC-free 2x2 flips ... and yes, I put the flips in "archival-quality" PVC-free 3-ring binder pages with cards that details the particulars about attribution info, purchase dates, sources and estimated values.

What concerns me is that after I've taken the precautions to buy PVC-free flips and pages, I put them into vinyl 3-ring binders and then put the binders into Sentry Fire-Resistent and Waterproof "safes" ... which appear to be made of god-only-knows what kind of "plastic" ...

Does anyone know if there is potentially serious danger to the health and well-being of my coins by keeping them "safely" locked away from fire-damage in these mostly plastic fire boxes?

Is there a better way to "safely" store coin collections to protect them from the ravages of fire in the event of a catastrophe?

Thanks for any input and/or advice.

Sincerely,
Pete

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: "Safe" Storage
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 12:15:23 am »
I wouldn't worry too much about any potentical PVC in your binder or in the safe.

From what I understand the coins have to be in physical contact with the PVC plastic for any negative reaction to occur, and even then it takes a warm, moist climate over a long period of time to produce ill results.

If your safe is cool and dry, your coins are...well...safe.

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 12:23:29 am »
I don't think the safe poses any immediate effect on your coins. I doubt the plastic will damage the coins that in a binder and a flip, but you should check them periodically just to make sure.

This thread might answer some of your questions as well: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=27361.msg178696#

Offline Varangian

• Caesar
  • Det er ikke å unngå fare det vi har komme!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 12:32:33 am »
I'd be more concerned about the safe's insulation.  Many fire safes have insulation that is moist.  This can cause a humid environment inside the safe.

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 12:36:55 am »
I'd be more concerned about the safe's insulation.  Many fire safes have insulation that is moist.  This can cause a humid environment inside the safe.

From the link I posted above, it appears that some people solve the problem by moisture absorbing packets, the packet that comes with beef jerky, and change it regularly. This may help solve that problem. I just ended up buying a normal safe with a decent fire resistance so I did not have to worry about this.

Offline rick fox

• Caesar
  • Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 08:52:12 am »
I have a Sentry fireproof safe,I use to store collectable comics.
I have never had a problem with humidity inside it.
I think you are pretty safe.
Iacta alea est  - 'The die has been cast' (Julius Caesar Jan 10, 49 BC Rubicon River, Italy)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity