Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antoninus Pius as Ceasar  (Read 1207 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Antoninus Pius as Ceasar
« on: August 26, 2007, 06:39:27 pm »
Hadrian is unwell and Aelius, the nominated successor dies on January 1st A.D. 138. Hadrian wishes to control the line of succession and names Antoninus Pius as Caesar on February 28th A.D. 138 and adopts him as his son. Hadrian lives until 10th July A.D. 138 at which point Antoninus Pius becomes emperor. The coins of Antoninus Pius as Caesar are not as scarce as one might perhaps expect. The following example is from this issue and with 14 examples in RD we can see that it is far from rare and seems to imply the production in large volume during the short time period. I must admit that I had been ignorant of them until I came across this one and I thought I would share it.

Denarius of Antoninus Pius as Caesar under Hadrian
Obv: IMP T AEL CAES ANTONINVS, Bare head right
Rev: TRIB POT COS, Diana standing right, holding bow & arrow
Minted in Rome. January 1st to February 28th A.D. 138
Ref:– BMC (Hadrian) 1006. RIC (Hadrian) 447a. RSC 1058. 14 examples in RD.

Not rare but an insight into a small set of events in history.

Regards,
Martin

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Antoninus Pius as Ceasar
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 07:09:38 pm »
Very interesting and a nice find! Thanks for sharing it!

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Antoninus Pius as Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 08:39:45 pm »
Martin,

I think the coinage of A. Pius as Caesar is about as scarce as might be expected for an issue lasting a little over four months.

Diana is probably the most unusual rev. type, and occurs only on denarii.

I say a little about the coinage of Antoninus as Caesar in the thread "Some rare Antonine sestertii with ordinary types", now on p. 2 of Classical Numismatics.  As I say there, Philip Hill, followed by David Sear in his new Roman Coins and Their Values, wanted to eliminate the coinage of Antoninus as Caesar and reattribute it to the period of Antoninus' supposed struggle with the Senate over Hadrian's consecration, but this is certainly an error!

For Antoninus' coinage as new Augustus in 138, also very interesting historically and including many rarities, see my answer to Varangian in the thread "An interesting bronze medallion of Hadrian", Roman Coins, p. 4.

You've dated your coin incorrectly: you meant "25 Feb. - 10 July 138".
Curtis Clay

Offline ROMA

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 12:33:51 am »
Coins issued for emperors as caesar prior to them becoming augustus are a favorite of mine. This Pius is one of my favorites, auctioned earlier in the year. If only i could afford these rarities!
Adversus solem ne loquitor

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 08:39:37 pm »
That is an APius and a Pietas 'to die for'!  Pat L.

Offline Ardatirion

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 09:58:34 pm »
That is an APius and a Pietas 'to die for'!  Pat L.

Ouch! Bad pun!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity