Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: rusted iron arrowheads  (Read 3279 times)

Offline Alexios

• Praetorian
rusted iron arrowheads
« on: August 26, 2007, 03:45:08 am »
Anyone has any idea how to conserve rusted arrows???
Because im living near the sea the humidity of the air is very high.
Is there any simple method?
Thanx
ALEX
+A.E.XW.T.FW.P.B.R.S.

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
Re: rusted iron arrowheads
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 11:37:05 pm »
Alex, I have something, I just can't find the reference. I 'll post it tomorrow

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 01:58:14 pm »
Alex, the book I consulted recommends the same basic procedure as for treating bronze for Bronze disease.

Make or like a container with aluminum foil, make sure there is plenty of surface area, use a 5% solution of a soda mix [5 parts soda mix in 95 parts water]. Soak the arrowheads, and soft scrub them. I would change the water after a couple days, but do this for about a week.

After the soak, dip the arrow heads in the highest grade rubbing alcohol for an hour to pull out the moisture, dry quickly, and seal with REN wax or something similar.

Could you post a picture or scan of one of these, it would be helpful.

Bruce

Offline Alexios

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 04:03:59 pm »
Hi Bruce,
i will try to post a picture as soon as i got the arrow. It is a big and beautiful one! :)
i will try your way, but i dont have a renessaince wax here...so we will see what will happen!
thanks again
+A.E.XW.T.FW.P.B.R.S.

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 05:46:06 pm »
Alexios, any wax will work, beeswax soften with turpentine, or a good paste floor wax. It just acts like a barrier against moisture and salt air.

Bruce

All coins are guaranteed for eternity