Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: eagles on the coin..id help please  (Read 750 times)

happyprince

eagles on the coin..id help please
« on: August 22, 2007, 01:27:10 am »
Can you help me with the id of this coin and its value?.by the way...how can I learn how to read Greek letters on the coins?thnx...

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: eagles on the coin..id help please
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 01:54:34 am »
It's a coin from Antioch, Pisidia.
[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Possible emperors are Valerian I, Trajan Decius, Aemilianus, Gallienus and probably more.
I can't even guess which it is.

The problem with this is not so much the fact that it's Greek but more that the lettering is kind of sloppy,
I had the same problems with Roman imperials if they were in less than perfect condition.
It helps to know what to expect, I have a buch of coins that are not that bad where I can still
make no sense of the inscription. It's usually much easier to go by the reverse depiction, 'eagle and standard' gives you a long list on Coinarchives that you have to work through. What I find annoying about looking up Provincials on CA is that 'eagle and standard and bronze' will not work, because none of those coins have the word 'bronze' in the description and there are usually no names for denominations.

So what I usually do if I have no idea about a coin is to start with, e.g. 'eagle and standard' and narrow it down, depending on how many results I get, using the NOT operator ('eagle and standard not aureus not denar ...'). It's not very elegant and once I reach about 500 results I just go through them quickly, even with my rather slow DSL connection it's not too bad.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 07:22:26 am »
Reading the inscriptions is just a matter of practice. You often won't get all the letters, but get what you can, work out how many blanks there are to be filled in, and see where you go from there. As you manage to attribute coins, you get better at reading the letters. There's no substitute for practice, unfortunately. I'm currently struggling myself, with Palaeohebrew inscritions; there's always something new to learn.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 07:37:35 am »
Size and weight should be added when asking for an ID.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

All coins are guaranteed for eternity