Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Thank you for award  (Read 3998 times)

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Thank you for award
« on: August 21, 2007, 04:16:10 pm »
Today I received an email notification that the PtolemAE Project web site (ptolemybronze.com) won an award for numismatic excellence from this forum.  Thank you.  I am new on this forum and so I knew nothing about this and I can find nothing about it anywhere on this site except a note that the poll was closed and a comment from one person who voted against the award (no hard feelings :).  Anyone who can point me to info about the poll (when it opened, how many voted, etc.) would be helpful - I'm happy to get the award but I have no idea how it happened :)  Though I got the email there seems to be no announcement here that this took place.

I gather by now a lot of folks here have checked out the site (www.ptolemybronze.com) and I am planning to continue to improve it and add features.  The goal is for this web site to become the central online reference site for information, educational resources, photos, and attribution help for Ptolemaic bronzes.  If you do have suggestions for improvement or other helpful ideas I'm happy to learn about them.

Thank you again,

PtolemAE

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
Re: Thank you for award
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 05:29:17 pm »
Hello PtolemAE and welcome to the Discussion Board!

The poll for your website is here:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=39242.0

It is currently right below the pinned threads on this section of the board.  It was pinned too while it was open.  Polls stay open for two weeks.  Its start time is given on the first post.  The title of that first post now says "Closed" but that word was only added after the poll ended so people can see that fact when they browse the list of polls/topics on this section of the board.

Winners of the Forvm Award For Numismatic Excellence are listed here in this pinned thread:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=12172.0

Initially, a member of this Discussion Board nominated your site by sending it to a member of The Forvm Website Awards Nomination Committee.  The Committee reviewed it and approved it for public polling.  It polled and now you have the Standard Award.  Congratulations and keep up the good work!

Kevin  :)

P.S.:  There is also a competitive Annual Awards program during November-December for Standard winners who post the Award logo (unless they won Annual Award(s) in the past, then they may post it/them instead in order to compete again).

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 11:10:20 pm »
Hello PtolemAE and welcome to the Discussion Board!

It is currently right below the pinned threads on this section of the board. 

I don't know what a 'pinned' thread is but thanks all the same for this explanation.  I did see the post of award winners but it was a 2004 post so I wasn't sure what it meant.  Now I see that it may be an old post but PtolemAE Project's web site has been added to the list.  Lovely.  And thanks also to the nominator and those who supported this award.

PtolemAE

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 12:04:04 am »

That's the post I visited earlier that announces the poll is closed and reports one 'no' vote by one person with no links to any thread of any additional comments on this poll or how the poll started or anything - an apparent dead end.  Maybe I need to get my sea legs here to figure out how to navigate around on this forum but I'm lost when I discover that the post showing the new award is dated 2005. 

thanks,

PtolemAE

Offline Pep

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 04:13:34 am »
Quote from: PtolemAE
I don't know what a 'pinned' thread is but thanks all the same for this explanation.

A pinned thread (also called a "sticky" thread) is a discussion topic or poll that is listed on the first page and above all other topics/polls in a given section of the discussion board.  For example, the Website Awards section currently has eleven of them pinned - which you can see by clicking Here.  They are the first ones you will see, even if the most recent replies to them are older than replies to non-pinned threads.  When you look at the far left column on that screen, the pinned threads will be labeled with these little pictures:  topic - , topic you replied to - , poll - , poll you replied to - .  As you can see, these have little pushpins in them, unlike these non-pinned labels:  , , , .

Topics and polls are usually pinned to bring extra attention to them and to help solicit further comments and/or participation.  Some of them may be rules or important announcements pertaining to that section of the board.  Such announcements are often locked, meaning that no one will be able to post replies to them except for the moderator of that section.  The list of Recipients of The Forvm Award For Numismatic Excellence is one such topic.  It's in its nature to need no replies from others so it is therefore locked.  The graphic they are labeled with will also have a little lock on it like so:  .

I did see the post of award winners but it was a 2004 post so I wasn't sure what it meant.  Now I see that it may be an old post but PtolemAE Project's web site has been added to the list.

That post of The Recipients of The Forvm Award For Numismatic Excellence was started back in 2004 when the Awards themselves were launched.  It has been added to ever since as new sites win the Award.  As moderator I have the access to modify its contents.  This is easier than just reposting it every time there are new winners.  There is also a limit on how long an individual post can be so I have had to post a reply every so often and shuffle things in order to add to that alphabetical list.

That's the post I visited earlier that announces the poll is closed and reports one 'no' vote by one person with no links to any thread of any additional comments on this poll or how the poll started or anything - an apparent dead end.

I'm not totally sure what is wrong here.  You should be able to see a bar graph with a vote of 13 "yes" / 3 "no" with 16 listed as the total number of voters.  There is only one written reply to your poll but that's common, many polls don't get any written comments at all - just votes.

You should also see the other things I described earlier.  I attached a screen capture photo of the poll to the bottom of this post to show what should be there.  As for "how the poll started", I can only reckon to add that I'm the one that starts and ends the polls.

If you are still unable to see these features in your poll on your own browser, please let me know and I'll tell the webmaster about it.  Problems like this do happen sometimes, especially when the discussion board software is upgraded (like it was recently).

Maybe I need to get my sea legs here to figure out how to navigate around on this forum

That's the best way to learn!  Become an active member of our community and you'll learn the features of this discussion board simply by doing.  Every now and then, even veteran members will discover features they didn't know about and will make posts about them.  Such posts can be amusing ;D

I enjoyed reading the posts you already made in the Greek section of this board as well.  I'm sure you'll get the hang of this place in no time.

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 02:50:38 pm »
Thank you, Kevin -

I did see the graph.  I never did find any post indicating that the poll was 'started' - only the one saying it was 'closed'.  In any case I'm making some progress here.  And thanks also for explaining the mystery about how 'new' awards are announced as part of a post that is 2 years old.  I suppose 'new' awards might merit a 'new' post, but who am I to say? :) 

BTW I did just add the nice little award graphic to the ptolemybronze.com web page. 

The inquiries here on Ptolemaic coins will let me fit right in.  I'm sure there will be plenty of things I can learn from folks here and perhaps I can make a worthwhile contribution to some discussions as well.

PtolemAE

Offline Pep

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 03:12:11 pm »
The poll started with that first post on August 06, 2007, 06:37:08 pm (CDT).  The word "Closed" wasn't added to the title until it did so two weeks later.  However, the start time is what still shows.  It may look confusing, but I do this to help avoid the greater confusion over which polls are open and which are closed when people are looking at the list of polls on the main screen of the Website Awards section.

I'm glad to see the logo on your website and wish you luck in the Annual Awards coming up in a few months.  I also look forward to your contributions here on the Discussion Board.  I'm sure we have more to learn from you concerning Ptolemaic coins than vice-versa!

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 11:59:34 pm »
Who but me could ever be confused by a poll that has closed but doesn't appear to have ever opened? :)

And who could be confused by a new award being reported in a post from 2 years ago?  :)

I'm just not used to this format and how the dates and titles of posts relate to their content and sequence of occurence in real time.

RE: Ptolemaic bronze coins - I hope I can contribute esp. where the attributions and denominations are not controversial.  I go mostly by Svoronos and more recent publications by noted numismatic scholar, Catharine Lorber, who has helped me a lot in improving my understanding of Ptolemaic coinage.

The award logo looks cool on the ptolemybronze.com web page.  Thanks again!

PtolemAE   

Offline Pep

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
"Closed" Label No Longer Used On Closed Polls
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 09:20:22 am »
Hello PtolemAE and Everyone Else Reading This,

The Committee has decided to quit adding "Closed" to the subject title of polls that are closed.  We also see how it can be confusing.  It was originally done to differentiate between closed and open polls.  However, the practice of pinning open polls was implemented soon after the Awards were launched, making the label redundant.  Yet, it was continued out of habit.

All previous polls have also had the "Closed" label removed.

Hopefully this will eliminate the confusion expressed earlier in this threadStandard Award polls (those from 2005 onwards) run for two weeks after the date given in the initial posts.  All other polls run according to the time frames expressed in the Rules For The Awards or by deadlines cited in the polls themselves.

Thank you PtolemAE for bringing up this issue and good luck in the Annual Awards!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity