Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Spanish, 17th century. HELP!  (Read 1192 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Spanish, 17th century. HELP!
« on: August 10, 2007, 06:47:40 am »
I was looking through my old trays of world coins that I accumulated as a child and came across this one. It looks like it could be a highly clipped 8 Maravedis of Spain but I am not sure. There is a date and it looks like 16?6 but I cannot make the whole date out. Could anyone help me identify the coin more fully.
I know it probably has very little commercial value but I thought I might as well try and identify it.
Regards,
Martin

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Spanish, 17th century. HELP!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 07:03:48 am »
Hi,

The date looks to be 1556, I think and the mint is Segovia (the symbol on the left of the castle on the opposite side to VIII is the Roman aqueduct at Segovia). Don't have a catalogue reference sadly.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 09:51:50 am »
Mauseus,
Many thanks for the reply. I am very much in the dark on this one. I bought it at a country auction when I was 17 with about 30 coins of Elizabeth I and another hammered silver Spanish piece. The Elizabethan coins have all gone now but I still have the Spanish coins and though I migh as well find out something about them.
I must admit that I thought it mught be 1556 (the date would fit in with the other coins in the lot) when I first looked at it but was unsure how far back the dating of these coins went. If the symbol on the left is the Roman aqueduct at Segovia then it would certainly add to the interest of the coin to me.
Hopefully someone else knows more about these.
Regards,
Martin

Offline dpaul7

• Consul
  • Acta est fabula, plaudite!
    • FORVM GALLERIES
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 04:28:03 pm »
Hello!

Your date is 1626 - 8 Maravedis, and it is indeed Segovia!

Here is a link showing your co in:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=es_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.maravedis.net%2ffelipe4_8_maravedis_segovia.html

dpaul7
Age. Fac ut gaudeam.
Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=17252

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 04:48:39 pm »
Thank you very much indeed dpaul7. Now I know what the coin should have looked like!
Regards,
Martin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity